View Full Version : Wii Q and A

Chris Gohlke
12-19-2006, 12:30 AM
http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/Wii_180x180._V49354773_.jpg

After a few weeks of almosts, I finally snagged a Wii this weekend. I arrived at Target at 3:30 AM Sunday and was number 11 in line for 21 units. I will say, this thing is really cool, but there are already a bunch of articles and reviews already on the net about the Wii, so rather than rehash a bunch of the same, I thought I'd open it up to a Q and A and get you the information you really want to know. I do plan on writing up a quick article on the Photo Channel as I have not seen much written about it and it is a pretty neat little feature. So, post your questions and I'll check in between games and do my best to answer them.

aroma
12-19-2006, 04:45 AM
I've had one since launch and absolutely love it! I've hardly even touched my 360 since I picked up my Wii. Just out of curiousity, what games have you tried?

Chris Gohlke
12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
I've got sports (of course) and bowling rocks. I also have been playing Elebits and it is really cool too. I have a friend that already finished Zelda, so I am going to borrow his copy.

aroma
12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I love bowling and tennis. I've also been playing Zelda, though I've not put a ton of time into it. (I'm estimating about 50% finished.) I would HIGHLY recoment Excite Truck. I was skeptical at first, but purchased it on a recomendation of my cousin who got to try it early. After playing it a bit I'm hooked. It's a blast!

Kris Kumar
12-20-2006, 02:28 AM
I would like to know how the new Opera browser works on Wii. It will be available Friday:
http://news.com.com/2110-1043_3-6144872.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

I am so impressed that Wii is providing browser support even before Xbox or Playstation. I am looking forward to this new feature in Wii; can watch photo albums. And hopefully it will play Flash as well.

Chris Gohlke
12-20-2006, 02:34 AM
Read about that earlier today to. Looking forward to trying it out. Too bad they don't have a keyboard out yet.

I got the component cables in the mail today. Honestly did not notice much of a difference.

Also, the weather channel is up. The forecast is OK, but the current weather is a bit out of date. The world weather is really cool though. You can "grab" the globe and spin it around. Almost has a Google Maps feel.

Finally, borrowed Zelda and started playing it. The controls are very intuitive and much easier to play then older games. Within a few minutes, I was not even thinking about the controller, I was just doing it.

stephman
12-20-2006, 04:59 PM
I would like to know how the new Opera browser works on Wii. It will be available Friday:
http://news.com.com/2110-1043_3-6144872.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

I am so impressed that Wii is providing browser support even before Xbox or Playstation. I am looking forward to this new feature in Wii; can watch photo albums. And hopefully it will play Flash as well.

Kris, the PS3 DOES have a web browser on it.
I've played around alittle bit with the PS3 browser and it seems a tad slow to me. But I'll have to give it a more thorough test.

I am looking forward to trying out the Opera browser on my Wii though.

Chris Gohlke
12-20-2006, 05:13 PM
I think the difference here is that the Wii browser is an actual browser built by a company that makes browsers rather than an add on. I'm sure you can use a real browswer under Linux too on the PS3.

Kris Kumar
12-21-2006, 02:00 AM
Kris, the PS3 DOES have a web browser on it.

Oh...I didn't know that.

I think it is important for Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to have a good browser on the game station, if they want to make their console one stop shop for the living room entertainment.

I am hoping that Wii browser will let the users use the Wiimote to scroll the pages using motion. :? :)

stephman
12-21-2006, 05:12 AM
Just testing to see if I can post in the forums from the PS3 web browser.
The experience is ok. I hooked up a USB keyboard so typing would be easier. The text on DigitalMediathoughts home page was small on my tv. But there was an option to increase text size and that helped. But when browsing the forums the text size increase function doesn't seem to be working the same as on the home page. Web navigation doesn't seem to be as slow as the 1st time I tried it.
But I can't wait to see how the browsing experience is using the Wii. Does anyone know if a USB keyboard works on the Wii? That'll be my next test.

Chris Gohlke
12-21-2006, 02:23 PM
From what I read, USB keyboards don't work. From some of what I read, nothing works on USB yet and Nintendo is saying not to plug anything in as it might crash the Wii. This is all from things I have read in various forums, but it is enough that I am not going to try it. Perhaps when the browser comes out the update will include USB keyboard support. What would be really sweet would be a nintendo accessory bluetooth keyboard, or one that plugged into the Wiimote. The Wimote would be cabled to the keyboard, but since you would use it like a mouse anyway, no problem.

stephman
12-21-2006, 08:00 PM
From what I read, USB keyboards don't work. From some of what I read, nothing works on USB yet and Nintendo is saying not to plug anything in as it might crash the Wii. This is all from things I have read in various forums, but it is enough that I am not going to try it...

Chris, thanks for that tidbit of info.
I'll hold off from experimenting with a keyboard on my Wii then.

Chris Gohlke
12-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Posted from the Wii browser. Not bad. Have to go to work now but will try to get some screen caps posted later.us