View Full Version : Nikon Announces New D40 Digital SLR, AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II and Nikon Speedlight SB-400

Jason Dunn
11-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Nikon has unleashed a trio of new products - here's the official press release and images.

Mississauga, ON, November 16, 2006 - Nikon Canada Inc. today introduced the D40 Digital SLR, the most affordable, compact and lightweight Nikon digital SLR camera ever. Also announced are the ideal companion accessories for D40: new compact AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II Zoom-Nikkor Lens and Nikon SB-400 Speedlight. The D40 Digital SLR features the performance and handling advantages of Nikon's leading-edge digital and optical technologies in a compact body. The camera's mobility and simplicity of operation make it possible for even first-time digital SLR owners to achieve beautiful images in a range of picture-taking situations.

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/D40_FA_open.jpg

With power-up time of only 0.18 seconds and a nearly indiscernible shutter release lag time, the D40 is always ready to shoot. Continuous shooting at 2.5 frames per second for up to 100 shots (JPEG FINE L-size or smaller) makes it easy to capture action. Nikon's Multi-CAM530 autofocus module and 3-area autofocus system, with cross-type sensor located in the centre, incorporates refined algorithms inherited from Nikon's renowned D200 and D80 digital SLRs. These control autofocus of the lens, delivering more precise focus, faster subject tracking and more accurate autofocus response and detection - even in low light. Previewing shots is nearly instant on the bright 2.5-inch LCD colour monitor where images may be enlarged up to 19 times to check for sharpness, exposure and focus.
<!>
Exceptional image detail with true, vivid colours is accomplished with the high-resolution 6.1 effective-megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor and highly advanced Nikon Image Processing Engine. With Nikon's exclusive 3D Colour Matrix Metering II, accurate exposure control is assured even in difficult lighting conditions. In order to determine and set the accurate exposure, the frame-wide 420-pixel sensor instantly assesses and compares a scene's brightness, contrast, and colour and compares it to the camera's built-in database of information from more than 30,000 real-world lighting scenarios. For greater control, alternative exposure control tools such as spot metering, centre-weighted metering and exposure compensation are also available.

Auto ISO makes the most of available light by automatically setting the camera's light sensitivity between ISO 200 to 1600. The ISO may also be set manually between this range, plus HI 1 (one step over 1600), for beautiful pictures even in low-light situations without a flash. For flash photography, the D40's powerful built-in flash employs Nikon's market-leading i-TTL flash control for greater precision in flash exposure evaluation and better automatic flash balance, even with backlit or reflective objects in the background.

Nikon's scene-optimized Digital Vari-Program modes lets photographers concentrate on capturing the moment while the camera determines settings. All eight modes - Auto, Auto (Flash Off), Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sport, Close-up and Night Portrait are designed to produce outstanding images by automatically calculating the best settings and ISO-equivalent sensitivity for each scene. New Auto (Flash Off) mode prevents the flash from popping up while boosting ISO, which can help in low-light situations where flash photography is not allowed. For more advanced creative control, the D40 offers Program Auto, Shutter-Priority Auto, Aperture-Priority Auto and Manual modes. Newly introduced Assist Images help users select appropriate settings for many of the D40's features by showing a sample image typical of the selected setting.

The new Retouch menu on the D40 offers exclusive in-camera image editing features that provide greater creative freedom without the need to first download images. In-camera Retouch features include D-Lighting, which can bring out detail in overly dark images, and Image Trim, which allows for creative cropping and the creation of smaller files, which are easier to send with e-mail. Other creative features include Red-eye Correction, Image Overlay, Small Picture, Monochrome (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype) and Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm Filter, Colour Balance).

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/AFS_DX_18_55_side_black.jpg

AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II Compact zoom lens featuring Silent Wave Motor Autofocus

An ideal companion for Nikon's newest, smallest and most affordably priced digital SLR, the 18-55mm Zoom-Nikkor lens will be included with D40 digital SLR kits sold in Canada.

The new AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II has been specially developed to provide a compact DX lens equipped with Nikon's compact SWM (Silent Wave Motor) that offers fast, quiet and smooth autofocus performance.

Further ensuring exceptional image quality, the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II features an ED glass element, minimizing chromatic aberration, and a hybrid aspherical lens element to reduce astigmatism and other forms of distortion while ensuring high resolution and contrast. The external lens design has also been improved for smoother zoom operability.

The lens offers users the popular 3x 18-55mm focal length range, which conveniently covers picture angles that meet the needs of everything from tight portraits to wide-angle landscapes.

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/SB400_RA_front.jpg

Nikon Speedlight SB-400
Compact and lightweight external flash compatible with i-TTL flash operation

The SB-400 has been developed to provide an entry-level external flash unit that is compatible with i-TTL flash operation and provides i-TTL flash operation in a compact and lightweight body at an affordable price. The SB-400 offers a guide number of 30 (ISO 200, m), and effortless bounce flash function.

In combination with cameras compatible with Nikon Creative Lighting System, the SB-400 is controlled in i-TTL and D40's M (manual) mode. Its flash head can be tilted in four steps - horizontal, 60, 75 and 90 degrees - and has a flash shooting distance range from 0.6m to 20m (depending upon the ISO setting). Slow Sync, Red-eye Reduction, and other flash modes can also be set on the camera body.

With the SB-400, users can easily enjoy brighter and more natural lighting for better flash pictures.

Exclusive Canadian Warranty
Nikon Canada offers an exclusive 2-year warranty for all COOLPIX and the D40, D50, D70s, D80 and D200 Digital SLR cameras purchased from a Nikon Canada Authorized Dealer. Consumers can feel comfort knowing their investment is protected by Nikon Canada's 2-Year Warranty with in-Canada service.

Pricing and Availability
The D40 Digital SLR and AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm Lens will be available December 01, 2006 and the SB-400 Speedlight will be available January 2007.

Vincent Ferrari
11-18-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm not a Nikon guy, as anyone who knows me will attest. I'm a complete and total Canon fanboy, and I readily admit it. That being said, I find one thing interesting. The Nikon fanboys have been bagging on the Rebel XT / XTi / 300 for years because it was a compact toy. Now, Nikon seems to realize that not everyone wants to carry around a camera the size of the D50 /70/80. I can't wait to hear the reactions to that move from those same fanboys.

Now, seriously, I like the D40. I think it'll open up SLR to a whole bunch of people who never would've even thought about it, and that's always a good thing. Once you get turned on to SLR photography, everything else feels like a plaything.

Jason Dunn
11-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Now, Nikon seems to realize that not everyone wants to carry around a camera the size of the D50 /70/80. I can't wait to hear the reactions to that move from those same fanboys.

Really? Well, definitely not from me. ;-) I think smaller DSLRs are great and will open up opportunities for new types of people to buy them. Bring it on!

Vincent Ferrari
11-18-2006, 09:45 PM
I agree, but you weren't bagging on Canon for the XT :-)

Lee Yuan Sheng
11-19-2006, 03:21 PM
The difference lies in the lens mounts. Nikon's mount is smaller, and can get away with having a smaller camera without compromising too much on the hand grip. I'll have to try it out when it's available.

The 350/400D all have been very awkward to hold for me. The ladies love the small size though! I personally thought that an old style SLR design with a minimal grip might've been better; I just couldn't get to grip it right.

Caveat: This has no internal camera AF motor, so you're stuck with AF-S lenses. No AF-S, no AF on this camera!

Vincent Ferrari
11-19-2006, 03:32 PM
The difference lies in the lens mounts. Nikon's mount is smaller, and can get away with having a smaller camera without compromising too much on the hand grip. I'll have to try it out when it's available.

While that may be true, it's hard to imagine an 18mm lens having a smaller barrel from manufacturer to manufacturer and that has a lot more to do with the size of the lens and what's built around it than the mount.

Looking at the picture and looking at my XT, it looks like the same camera with a Nikon sticker on it and I have a feeling if you didn't like the XT / XTi, you aren't going to be a huge fan of the D40 either.