View Full Version : My Wife Has a Wicked Tongue

Damion Chaplin
09-14-2006, 02:05 AM
This really isn't appropriate for the thread that spawned it (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=65101), but I just had to post it anyway. This is where the rant part comes in. Those with sensitive eyes may wish to leave the room...

"And yeah I guess the resistance to buying (not resistant to learning) unnecessary technology thing was a factor, but mostly because I genuinely and passionately object to being sucked in to an endless consumer cycle which just feeds the evil corporate capitalist machine and fills up huge amounts of landfill space with lots of old junky plastic & metal crap because we’re all so damn addicted to the newest and bestest and shiniest toys. But hey, at least we’re making our corporate masters rich as f--k while we all sit around wishing we could afford a vacation or a trip to the doctor, which maybe we could if we hadn’t spent hundreds and thousands of $$$ over the last few years endlessly replacing our old-new music playing machines with our new-new music playing machines. But oh who cares, as long as we look and feel super-cool that’s all that matters, right? Just so long as my cool crap is cooler than yours then I’m happy so who needs medical care or decent non-toxic food? You and I just happen to be privileged enough to afford both shiny new toys and edible food, but I have to question the way we as a society/species choose to spend our money and our time and our natural resources. F--k providing everyone with shelter, food, clothes, child care, medical care, education, and artistic/spiritual enrichment, let’s just all produce and buy gameboys and ipods instead so we can support our efforts to live in denial about the fact that we reside in shacks and breath poison.

Hmm, how strange, I can smell smoke and yet I hear a fiddle playing, too….

What’s that Captain, you say we’ve hit an iceberg? Oh well, guess we’ll polish our DAPs now, hope that iceberg thing works out for you, pal.

Now, I’m not saying it’s bad or wrong to love your toys, but what about balance? It’s like we’ve lost all reasonable human perspective on what is really important, and given all the signs that the earth is burning (so to speak) it’s difficult to remain complacent about that. Although I suppose there are worse things to do while we all go down in flames than listen to the new Cat Power album. But what if we didn’t have to go down in flames and all it took to save ourselves was scaling back on our desires for newer and better toys, which requires more and more money, which requires more and more time and energy and natural resources, etc., ad nauseam, ad infinitum…except that these things aren’t infinitely available, so where does it end?

Bang."

Whew! 8O She has some excellent points, and I agree with them all. I would probably have put it a little more diplomatically though. :wink:

It was just such a fantastic rant I had to share. This is where the rant part ends.

Jason Dunn
09-14-2006, 04:20 AM
Man, you're married to quite the fireball! That actually impresses me - most women I know don't rant that well. ;-) Kudos to the wife!

maryannsms
08-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Wow...what a rant...but I would agree that shes is right.
Very impressive wife Damion.:)