View Full Version : MTP vs. HD mode

Damion Chaplin
08-30-2006, 11:25 PM
OK, call me dumb, but I just can't figure out why I would want to use the Media Transport Protocol instead of plain ol' drag-and-drop Hard Drive mode. Is is simply to make the device appear to WM10, or is there some other reason I'm missing?

I've always used drag-and-drop to load my PMP and have always been happy. Is there any reason to switch?

Jason Dunn
08-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes, that's essentially what it boils down to. It also depends on what device you have - on my Zen Vision:M, I can segment out a portion of the drive to appear as mass storage, but the rest of it is still MTP-access only, so I can't really use mass storage only...

Damion Chaplin
08-31-2006, 09:02 PM
My new Archos 402 Camcorder (for $175 on eBay!!! 8) ) has an OS switch to choose between HD and MTP. Just wondering why I would ever switch it from HD mode. Answer: I really wouldn't.

Thanks!

Jason Dunn
08-31-2006, 09:05 PM
You bought an Archos? You'll have to let us know how you like it - every time I pick one up, I marvel at how grotesque and horrific they've managed to make the user interface and overall operating system... :lol: