View Full Version : Vista Pricing Released in Canadian Dollars

Jason Dunn
08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=125' target='_blank'>http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=125</a><br /><br /></div>"Joe Wilcox at Microsoft Monitor stumbled across Amazon's Windows Vista pre-order prices today. They've been up for nearly two weeks and no one has noticed...for months, Microsoft has been saying Windows Vista will be ready in January. More recently, a Microsoft product planner let slip that it would be "late January." And January 30 fits that bill. Here's the price list, as charged by Amazon (full/upgrade):<br /><br /> * Windows Vista Home Basic, $199/$99.95<br /> * Windows Vista Home Premium, $239/$159<br /> * Windows Vista Business, $299/$199<br /> * Windows Vista Ultimate, $399/$259<br /><br />All in all, close to what I guessed at yesterday. The Ultimate prices are $50-60 more than I predicted, and the Business edition is $20 higher than I thought - exactly the same price as XP Professional. And for some reason the Home Premium version will set you back $20 more than I thought."<br /><br />Disaster, thy name is Vista pricing. We live in a world where owning more than one computer is a common thing in many computer-using households around the world. The full version pricing doesn't bother me - it's hard to envision a scenario where someone wouldn't be able to take advantage of the upgrade pricing. The upgrade pricing is quite high though - about 20% more than I thought. Vista Home Basic lacks a lot of functionality, so Home Premium is going to be the only one I'll recommend to friends and family. But at $159 USD for a single license, that's quite pricey. <br /><br />The real problem here is the lack of a "family pack" upgrade option: mark my words, this is going to tremendously slow home user adoption of Windows Vista. <a href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6294000/wo/7M3jnyKlYYQP2zU7giv1CzxwNe1/1.0.19.1.0.8.12.1.1.1.13.0">Apple has it figured out:</a> they sell a single user license for $129 USD or a five-user home license for $199 USD. That's simple, cost effective, and $199 USD is a very reasonable price for upgrading five computers to the latest Mac OS.<!><br /><br />Microsoft <i>needs</i> home users to buy Vista, because the big 20,000 seat corporate licensing purchases never happen quickly - hell, many are just now upgrading to Windows XP! I've raised this exact issue - family pack pricing - with Microsoft Vista team members and executives many times, and it evidently has fallen on deaf ears. They just don't seem to know/care, or they feel that family pack licensing would be a threat to their business licensing bundles.<br /><br />I saw this when Windows XP came out: I was at a friends house, doing some general computer cleanup on his Windows 98-based machines, and was urging him to upgrade to Windows XP. He had four computers in the house, and upgrading to XP Home would have cost him over $500. That's not a small amount of money, so he simply said that Windows 98 was "good enough" and he'd stick with it. Windows XP is "good enough" for many people, and there's very real chance that Vista is going to be a flop in the upgrades market for this very reason: multiple-PC households will look at the upgrade pricing and simply say that XP is "good enough".<br /><br />Microsoft doesn't want Vista adoption to be driven solely through new computer purchases, yet that's the exact scenario they've created here with the upgrade pricing and lack of a family pack.

aroma
08-30-2006, 07:35 PM
&lt;microsoft uniform> But why would anyone in their right mind have more than one PC in their home? Doesn't every just have one PC with a bunch of Smart Displays attached? &lt;/microsoft uniform>

Felix Torres
08-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Yes, Apple has done a very good job of turning MacOS into a subscription service.
$129 a year, every year, is a nice steady revenue stream. Makes 3% market share as profitable as 12%.

MS should probably start charging for the service packs and simply sell annual OS upgrades. But hopefully not before I go buy some of their stock and get in on the gravy train.

Seriously.
Do we really need to be charged *more* for our system software?
Installment plans always cost more than upfront purchases, you know.
Even at full list, the three year price of Vista home premium + free service packs works out to less than $79 a year.

That's why MS is raising prices; cause the other guys get away with it.
You guys need to promote Linux pricing! :twisted:
:wink:
(is it friday yet?)

Jason Dunn
08-30-2006, 09:01 PM
&lt;microsoft uniform> But why would anyone in their right mind have more than one PC in their home?&lt;/microsoft uniform>

So you have no idea how true that is...when I brought this issue up with a Microsoft guy who worked on the "SKU team" (they plan how to sell the different versions), I asked him how much research they had done into multiple-PC homes and what impact their pricing would have on those, he admitted that he knew of no research into that topic and they had no idea how to approach the pricing. :roll:

Jason Dunn
08-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes, Apple has done a very good job of turning MacOS into a subscription service. $129 a year, every year, is a nice steady revenue stream. Makes 3% market share as profitable as 12%.

I used to agree with you, but I've changed my position for three reasons:

1) The 5-computer pack makes the yearly upgrades affordable for multiple computers ($39.80 per machine is cheap)

2) Every OS upgrade that Apple comes out with adds new features, functionality, and bug-fixes. Microsoft updates add bugfixes, but very rarely new features (SP2 was an exception). Maybe the higher price would be tolerable if we knew Microsoft would evolve the OS over the next three years. XP remained largely static from a features/functionality standpoint.

3) Apple users don't have to upgrade to the next version in order to continue to get bugfixes (within limits of course, I doubt Apple is releasing fixes for OS 9)

MitchellO
09-14-2006, 05:14 AM
I have yet to try Vista RC1 (missed out :(), but from what I saw in Beta 2, I was extremely disappointed. If the final version is anything like what I have seen of Vista so far, then I see no reason to upgrade.

The release of Windows XP was one of Microsoft's best moves in my opinion. I find it a very capable operating system, and have been very happy with it over the last few years. SP2 improved things further (particularly in the Wireless Networking dept.).

I can't remember where I read it, but somebody said that Vista seems like a dot release. I have to agree. While some of the visual features look great (I particularly found the Alt+Tab replacement very cool), they wear off pretty quickly.

Windows Vista (aka. Windows XP Service Pack 2.5)