View Full Version : Looking for a 'desktop' audio media player

Don Tolson
07-31-2006, 11:50 PM
I'm looking for an audio media library storage/player device which will hold a sizeable number of songs (MP3s, WMAs, etc.) then let the user either select an album or a genre to play.

We don't want to get a 'media PC' (we already have enough PCs in the house), but rather something we can attach to the Stereo in the Living Room. Kind of like the Bose 'Lifestyles' thingee, but not so pricey.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Damion Chaplin
08-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Have you thought of streaming media from one of your PCs to your living room? I assume you're already storing said media on one of them. There are more (and better) options for streaming media from a PC via a network than for storing and playing on a non-PC living room device.

Also, how much media (size-wise) are we talking about? And you only need it to do music? Do you think you might do video down the road? You wouldn't want to have to buy a new device later on just because you don't currently think there's any need...

Don Tolson
08-01-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't want to 'have' to have the PC going, just to listen to music. What I'm looking for is kind of like a 'desktop' iPod, I guess -- a standalone digital jukebox where we can just play anyone of our ripped CDs or downloaded tunes.

I don't really need or want a 'streaming network' running in the house.

Thanks for the idea, though.

/drt

Jason Dunn
08-01-2006, 06:25 PM
It sounds like you want something like this:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?fhquery=fh_secondid%3Dwacs700_37_us_consumer%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_US%2Fcategories%3Ccatalog_us_consumer%2Fcategories%3Chome_audio_video_gr_us_consumer%2Fcategories%3Caudio_systems_ca_us_consumer%26fh_secondid%3Dwacs700_37_us_consumer%26fh_secondid%3Dwacs700_37_us_consumer%26&productId=WACS700_37_US_CONSUMER&activeCategory=&fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&language=en&country=US&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=TRJ1U23FLXVV3J0RMRCSHQNHKFSESI5P

It's crazy expensive, and I don't think there's a way for you to load up your iTunes music on it - I seriously doubt it's FairPlay compatible.

You'd get WAY more functionality and save money by getting one of these:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=243

And pairing it with a Roku Soundbridge:
http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

Damion Chaplin
08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
I second that second recommendation. :)

Don Tolson
08-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Hmmmm, now that may be a workable solution -- a 'network' HD, coupled with the Soundbridge... that might work.
Thanks!

Jason Dunn
08-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Hmmmm, now that may be a workable solution -- a 'network' HD, coupled with the Soundbridge... that might work.

Make sure the network HD is compatible with the Roku - I have a Maxtor NAS and it has some media software on it that allows the Roku to see it...but I'll be damned if I can remember what the software is called! And they even send us press releases constantly...they work with Buffalo a lot.