View Full Version : The Seattle Times: Argo Aims Guns at More Than iPod

Jason Dunn
07-19-2006, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2003116550&slug=brier10&date=20060710' target='_blank'>http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2003116550&slug=brier10&date=20060710</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft is indeed developing a digital-media player to compete with Apple's iPod, and there's much more to the story. A few details trickled out last week from music companies that Microsoft is lining up to support the device. Microsoft isn't commenting, but I was able to piece together a broader picture with some research, reporting and information from a source close to the project. What's being developed is actually a complete line of Xbox-branded digital-media products, including a device that plays media, a software media player and an online media service. The project, or at least part of it, is referred to internally at Microsoft by the code name Argo — a reference to the huge warship used by the hero Jason in Greek mythology. Argo is being developed within the Xbox group under the leadership of Xbox co-founder J Allard. His team includes people who previously worked on MSN Music, an online music service that had a promising debut in 2004 but fell victim to Microsoft's dithering over its music strategy. Now the company is firmly behind Argo. It has committed hundreds of millions to produce and market the devices."</i><br /><br />Being named Jason, I can't help but think highly of a product that is named after the ship that carried the Greek hero on his mythical quests. More than that, however, I'm interested in seeing what Microsoft can do in this arena if they really take off the gloves. Microsoft is a massive company with billions in the bank, and a huge amount of R&amp;D efforts - yet most of that money sits unused, and most of that R&amp;D is offered up to partners with encouraging words of "Hey, maybe if you added this to your product...". With so many products, whether it be laptops, Tablet PCs, Portable Media Centers, Pocket PCs, or Smartphones, Microsoft can only advise their partners on how to make the product better. Then their partners turn around and decide to save 90 cents and the out of box experience is second fiddle to the iPod. <br /><br />Now I'm not saying that Microsoft will have perfect execution on this, but I do feel that with every Microsoft product I've seen (keyboards, mice, Xbox, wireless routers) the overall experience and quality has been very high. Can they replicate this success with the Argo? What will their partners such as iRiver and Samsung do if they're suddenly competing with Microsoft? It will be an interesting year, that's for sure.

Damion Chaplin
07-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Now I'm not saying that Microsoft will have perfect execution on this, but I do feel that with every Microsoft product I've seen (keyboards, mice, Xbox, wireless routers) the overall experience and quality has been very high.

Totally agree with you there. I've got a remanufactured MS keyboard at work that has worked flawlessly for years. It gets about 5 times more use than my keyboard at home.

Can they replicate this success with the Argo?

Yes, if they do it right. The real question is will they? I hope so.

What will their partners such as iRiver and Samsung do if they're suddenly competing with Microsoft?

Here's a novel idea: Make Better Players! :)

Phronetix
07-20-2006, 04:34 AM
I read these articles, and all I can think about is the fact that there is a plan to build a: portable game defice; with built-in wifi; and music player; and video player; and something that synchronizes with a music and/or video/and/or gaming service.

Then my conclusion is that they are doing too much at once at the onset. I predict that if they don't simplify, the first devices will be underwhelming and buggy.

My advice on what to focus on:
1. Design, as in simple design.
2. Make sure it does what you say it does, and does it well, without crashing, for at least 95% of users
3. Make the synchronization process as easy as plug it in. If you are unsure what that is, please go here (http://www.apple.com/ipod).
4. If you need to remove features to make 1, 2, and 3 true on the first release, then go ahead. You can always add them in on top of a quality first release at a later date.
5. And whatever you do, do not give your product stupid suffixes like this: ProductName - Digital Media Edition; ProductName - Gamer Edition; ProductName - Premium Gamer Edition with Bluetooth and Wireless. Just... trust me on that.

Jason Dunn
07-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Dennis Hayes, bringing the Apple heat to the party! :lol: :wink:

Phronetix
07-20-2006, 06:10 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Dennis Hayes, bringing the Apple heat to the party! :lol: :wink:

Well, it just hasn't ceased to amaze me that over and over those who make the hardware seem to prioritize adding features ahead of ensuring seamless function or improving the user experience. Then they watch Apple improve their simple little product, and they sit down at their corporate design think-tank, and say among themselves, "you know, everyone, if we can just add this one extra feature, then we will have the 'iPod killer'".

It seems that in order to provide the type of experience that the iPod brings, you need to have the jukebox software (WMP), the DRM (Plays for Sure), the music store (Urge) AND the hardware integrated. Steve Jobs knows this. Seems Microsoft is learning it too. What they do with this knowledge is anyones guess.

Jason Eaton
07-20-2006, 06:56 PM
I am looking forward to see what MS can do, more power to them.

The biggest thing I am looking forward too is the fact that the biggest scapegoat WMA has had (there were too many players and not enough control between all parties envolved) is removed.

Now MS has the whole ball of wax and I look forward to seeing what they can do. However, if it fails I hope websites call a duck a duck and not throw out excuses.

Call it a challenge.