View Full Version : Creative iPod Was a Possiblity

Chris Gohlke
07-13-2006, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060710-7228.html' target='_blank'>http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060710-7228.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In the past few months, one of Apple's biggest rivals in the digital audio player space, Creative, has begun competing with Apple using legal tactics. Looking back before the birth of the iPod, Creative had a significant lead on Apple, with almost a full year's experience in developing and selling hard-disk-based players. What is almost completely unknown, however, is that Apple was willing to work with Creative to develop an Apple-licensed player as opposed to building their own from scratch. According to Creative's legal filings with the US International Trade Commission, Apple had originally sought to license Creative's IP and create the iPod on Creative's platform. The filings reveal that Apple was unsure that this scheme was going to be profitable in the long run, and proposed the radical (for Apple) idea of partnering with Creative to create a digital audio player. Creative decided against joining forces, and the rest is history."</i><br /><br />It would be really interesting to see how the market would look today in this alternate reality. I'd bet we would see less developed products and lower overall market penetration for MP3 players in general.

bluemax
07-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Apple, and Jobs especially, has a history of viewing technology and seeing the value in it. Look at what happened after they took a look at Xerox PARC - we got Macintosh. Now we hear they've been looking at Creative media players and all of a sudden they've got iPod. Was it really Creative that backed out of the deal? I'd bet the deal was unpalatable to Creative. It probably had so many restrictions it would interfere with their current business. Look at the iPod Motorola deal.

Xerox never did understand what they had and how important it was. They gave their technology away. Creative has at least realized the value of their own technology and is trying to defend it.

Bill B.