View Full Version : Best Buy Says HD DVD Format War Bad for Industry

Chris Gohlke
07-06-2006, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tvpredictions.com/bestbuydisaster070506.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.tvpredictions.com/bestbuydisaster070506.htm</a><br /><br /></div><i>"At a recent conference held by the Consumer Electronics Association, Anderson said the industry desperately needs a successful high-def DVD format. But he said the competition between Sony and Toshiba is making it difficult for retailers like Best Buy to promote the new technology. "“It makes it impossible to get behind one format and introduces so many problems," said Anderson, as quoted in this week's TWICE magazine. "We must get an affordable (HDTV DVD) software format. It is vital for the movie industry too, to sell their library of titles again.""</i><br /><br />Well it seems Best Buy thinks they know where the money is. They don't really care which format wins, as long as one does. But until one does, they can't get on with the business of reselling everyone their DVD's in the new format. I think they might be disappointed in this regard. I probably got 500+ DVD's and I don't for see replacing most of them with HD (save Star Wars/Trek and Lord of the Rings) but would go HD for new releases. Time for a quick survey:

jlp
07-09-2006, 04:08 AM
Haven't voted, my choice is not there.

I won't buy any new format until prices come down to near DVD prices.

And with some nices titles at around $7 to $8 I don't see that happening soon.

So I'll keep buying regular DVDs for the foreseeable future...

Phoenix
07-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I haven't voted either. You're missing an important option: "No, I'll keep my current collection of regular DVD's and won't upgrade until a winner in the HD format war emerges."

Until a winner emerges, no HiDef DVD's for me.

As I've stated from the beginning, this war is ridiculous and motivated by greed. It's certainly technologically possible. We can land robots on Mars, but Sony and Toshiba can't come up with a unified HiDef DVD format? Gimme a break. Give us all a break.

jlp
07-09-2006, 09:16 PM
We can land robots on Mars, but Sony and Toshiba can't come up with a unified HiDef DVD format? Gimme a break. Give us all a break.

I second that wholeheartedly :!: :!: :!: