View Full Version : Sony to Microsoft: "Stop Copying Us!"

Jason Dunn
06-30-2006, 09:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/06/28/kaz-hirai-microsoft-is-just-a-copycat/' target='_blank'>http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/06/28/kaz-hirai-microsoft-is-just-a-copycat/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Every time we go down a path, we look behind and they're right there - we just can't shake these guys. I wish that they would come up with some strategies of their own, but they seem to be going down the path of everything we do. If you look at their strategy in other business areas as well, they tend to do that ... And the other thing is, you take a look at, for example, the fact that we incorporate the Blu-ray drive from day one. You're not going to be asking me, 'So, talk to me about this Blu-ray add-on that you have. Does it work for games? Is it just for movies?' That's exactly the kind of pitfall you fall into if you launch something that's too early, too premature..."</i><br /><br />The quote above is courtesy of Kaz Hirai, a bigwig at Sony Electronics working on the Playstation 3. I've seen delusional thinking before, but this one really takes the cake. Sony may have been first to market with the original Playstation (which was quite powerful), and they can certainly take credit for some aspects of the gaming console world, but Microsoft blazed a new trail with the original Xbox. Specifically with Xbox Live, Microsoft created an online gaming experience that was completely new to the console world. The eventual inclusion of HD-DVD is a matter of timing: what would be the point of putting an HD-DVD drive in the Xbox 360 without there being widespread media on the market? When the PS3 finally ships (sometime...) with its Blu-Ray drive, there will be <i>some</i> Blu-Ray content, but certainly not much. If and when Microsoft makes HD-DVD standard in the Xbox 360, they'll do so at a time that makes sense. Hey Sony, <i>ship your freakin' product first</i> before trash talking your opponent!

sojourner753
06-30-2006, 11:59 PM
This is pretty funny. Its like listening to siblings quibble. One always yelling, "Stop doing everything I do!"

I'm the youngest and believe me, I heard it a lot from my older brother. :)

If you look at it, in almost every one of their markets, they can look up and either see Microsoft there, or see them standing behind someone else.

Not just there, but making a lot of trouble for Sony. I think speeches like this are just indicative of their frustration of alway having to compete in someway with the giant rolling tsunami that is Microsoft.

It always goes the same way with Microsoft.

&lt;analogy>
First there's a tremor. Maybe nothing after that.
But sometimes, you don't notice when the tide pulls back from the shore. Because it was so quiet. Or maybe you were too busy laughing at the hermit crabs scrambling around on the beach.
Then suddenly you're fighting to stay afloat.
&lt;/analogy>

I think this describes MS IE, MS Servers, Windows Mobile/CE and others.
Although the first XBox was a pretty big bang. Without any warning.

Felix Torres
07-01-2006, 03:03 AM
Sony is feeling the heat, is all.
It's happened before.
(Anybody remember when word got out, via an already-printed Wal-Mart flyer, that MS was going to cut the price of the XBOX at the end of the month and Sony hastily called a press conference to announce *their* price cut before MS could officially announce theirs so they could brag of their "industry leadership"?) :roll:

And if even half the rumors of what MS has lined up for the next year come to pass, Sony is going to be up to their gils in trouble, just trying to catch up to what MS is doing *now*.

As pointed out, MS has four solid years worth of XBOX LIVE in place while Sony has yet to unveil their "unified online environment" and, judging by the hemm-ing and haw-ing at E3, chances are they still don't know what they can or cannot deliver or when.

BTW, the latest competitive analysis that came out this week says MS will maintain an installed-based lead on Sony for at least 07 and 08 and that the earliest Sony is likely to catch up is 09.

Only problem is, MS is running the XBOXes on a four year life cycle and 09 is when the next XBOX is scheduled to ship. :lol: