View Full Version : LightScribe DVD Burner Prices Drop Due to Stagnant Sales

Jason Dunn
06-26-2006, 10:25 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060623A6032.html' target='_blank'>http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20060623A6032.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Retail prices of LightScribe DVD burners in the Taiwan market have dropped by 7-10% because sales have fallen short of expections in tandem with booming sales of DVD burners without LightScribe functions, according to local retail channels. In addition to Hewlett-Packard, the developer of the LightScribe technology, Taiwan's leading optical drive makers Lite-On IT and BenQ have launched LightScribe DVD burners for sale in the local market as well, the sources noted. LightScribe technology allows for directly burning labels onto the non-recordable side of an optical disc."</i><br /><br />I can't say that this surprises me all that much - <a href="http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,8942">I wrote about this topic last year</a>, and my opinion hasn't changed since then. LightScribe media is still too expensive, and the quality/speed hasn't improved - whereas direct printing on disc is becoming more common, and in fact it's somewhat difficult to buy media that isn't already designed for printing. Costco had a recent sale on DVD media, buy 100 and get 100 free, and all of the TDK media offered was white-topped and ready for printing. It's just a shame Canon and HP printers in North America can't print to disc like Epson printers can.

Damion Chaplin
06-26-2006, 11:07 PM
It's just a shame Canon and HP printers in North America can't print to disc like Epson printers can.

Meh. Just buy an Epson. :)
You can get an Epson that prints on discs for the same price as 100 Lightscribe DVDs (http://thoughtsmedia.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=8852608/search=lightscribe), and that's being generous. :wink:

James Fee
06-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Jason, other than you I knew no other person who had even touched a LightScribe...

Guess that was the big problem.

jmulder
06-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Jason, other than you I knew no other person who had even touched a LightScribe...

Guess that was the big problem.

I've got one, but the 1 out of 5 success ratio on both units makes it pretty much useless to me.

Jason Dunn
06-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I've got one, but the 1 out of 5 success ratio on both units makes it pretty much useless to me.

Well that's certainly not normal - it sounds like you have a defective unit.

jeffd
06-27-2006, 07:53 PM
in fact it's somewhat difficult to buy media that isn't already designed for printing

Lightscribe printing? I have yet to see any lightscribe disk, the memorox ones in the store have remained the same, and shop4tech still maintains a seperate and more expensive section for light scribe disc.

Jason Dunn
06-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Lightscribe printing? I have yet to see any lightscribe disk, the memorox ones in the store have remained the same, and shop4tech still maintains a seperate and more expensive section for light scribe disc.

No, I meant PRINTING, as in inkjet printing. More and more I'm seeing CDs and DVDs that are ready for printing, and I'm seeing less and less of the non-printable media.

jmulder
06-28-2006, 01:05 PM

Well that's certainly not normal - it sounds like you have a defective unit.

That's what I thought until I returned the 'bad' one and the replacement didn't work either.

I updated firmware, reinstalled Windows and drivers, complained to HP's tech support and by the end of it, replaced my motherboard as well, but still only about 20% success.

I don't harbor any bad feelings, though. I don't burn that many CD's, and the drive now sits in a Linux box, running as a non-Lightscribe DVD burner. Works great!

Crocuta
06-28-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm probably the only person left who actually likes Lightscribe. And that, of course, is the problem; I don't buy enough all by myself. :lol: Seriously, I think the problem was that they had this plan to improve the product, eventually allowing burning in color, but they haven't made any progress at all toward achieving any of that. They had a window of opportunity, but they sat on it and now that window is closing. I'm stocking up on DVD's as they come on sale so that I'll be set for a couple of years after the whole thing folds. It's a shame, but that's how it goes in the world of hi-tech.