View Full Version : iTunes Movie Store Inching Closer to Reality?

Jason Dunn
06-20-2006, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/20/technology/20apple.html?ex=1308456000&en=72e3be94179f5fb3&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss' target='_blank'>http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/20/technology/20apple.html?ex=1308456000&en=72e3be94179f5fb3&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Consumers have been willing to spend 99 cents to buy Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" or $1.99 for an episode of "Desperate Housewives" from iTunes. Now Steven P. Jobs is betting they will also pay $9.99 to download "The Godfather" to play on their iPods. For weeks, Apple Computer has been talking with executives at all the major studios — including the Walt Disney Company, 20th Century Fox, Warner Brothers and Universal Studios — about adding movies to its popular iTunes music store, several people involved in the negotiations said. Mr. Jobs, who is Apple's chief executive, has been participating in the negotiations and telling studio executives in Los Angeles that he wants to have a deal in place by the fall, people involved in the negotiations said."</i><br /><br />More rumours, though this time they seem credible - and we all know Jobs wants to break into the movie market. Will Apple's solution be able to make more progress than Microsoft's partnership with Vongo? There was a lot of hype about Vongo when it was first launching, but I don't know anyone that uses it, and it certainly isn't something I hear people raving about.

sojourner753
06-21-2006, 02:37 AM
There wasn't much fanfare about Vongo when it came out. Just some non-sensical commercials.

Since you mentioned the service, I decide to go back and take a look again. I actually looks like something that I would be interested in.

Especially since they mentioned using it with a Media PC. They didn't specifically mention Window MCE, so I hope its limited to that. Its quite an interested idea to use a service like this with my SageTV setup.

Why doesn't the non-Apple camp get it. Its spelled M-E-D-I-A B-L-I-T-Z.

People aren't going to just stumble across your products. And its a terrible risk to think that you can just put some non-information out in a commercial and trust curiosity to do you're work for you. :roll:

Anyway I'm sure Apple's store will be very successful for those who want to watch movies on a tiny screen. Of course in reality, Apple will probably launch a new media product with it. Either a larger portable player, or some Media Center product that hooks right in.