View Full Version : MCE 2005 - Video hangs up

David
06-14-2006, 07:24 AM
This is my first experience with Media Center.
I have a new Gateway system running MCE 2005 on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor.
The problem is when playing live TV or playback of a recorded show the video frequently hangs up. No error reported, but the video and sound stops for a few seconds, then begins stepping forward.
Pressing rewind or fast forward and play will resume the video, as will skip or replay.
I haven't had any luck finding this problem on the forums. Has anyone seen it and more importantly what is the fix?

Thanks,
David

Jason Dunn
06-15-2006, 05:25 PM
The best thing I can suggest is contacting Gateway tech support - I don't know what TV tuner they're using, what MPEG2 codec they're using, etc.

Jason Dunn
06-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Ok, you're not going to believe this, but I'm having EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. 8O

I upgraded my CPU to an AMD 64 X2, installed Nero 7, and have had all sorts of problems with video playback.

Totally baffled! Did you have any luck solving the problem?

Jason Dunn
06-21-2006, 06:32 PM
I've been researching this problem and found a few possible solutions:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/84127.aspx
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/76579.aspx

I installed the "AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.3.1" patch, and every time Windows tried to boot it would reboot my PC. 8O

This issue is really pissing me off, I can't believe that Microsoft doesn't have a stable solution in place for X2 processors - they've been out for MONTHS.

Jason Dunn
06-22-2006, 06:17 PM
So I managed to solve my problem by updating the BIOS on my Shuttle, then by installing the 1.3.1 AMD CPU patch. Things are working perfectly now. :D

(I still think it's REALLY lame that this CPU needs a driver to function properly, and if that's the case then they should include a CD with it and tell people to install it)

It's also insane that Gateway would sell a computer with MCE 2005 on it that wouldn't work properly right out of the box...! 8O :roll: :evil:

Allenhan
07-21-2006, 05:06 AM
wow that's great then it's another information to add in my memory thanks for your thread