View Full Version : Just got My Samsung UMPC!

Outlaw94
06-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I wasn;t sure where to post this. It can qualify as so many different things so feel free to move it if you like.

I got my Q1 from CDW one week ago today. I must admit I was a little worried about what I was going to get after reading some reviews. After spending a week with the device I have to say that I love it.

I loaded it up with Office, Money, Streets and Trips, and Microsoft Photo Suite via sharing my laptops dvd drive with no problem. The screen is wonderful for watching video and the ability to use my normal windows programs on a device that weighs under 2lbs is amazing.

I took the Q1 with me to the Nascar Race in Dover this past weekend so I could offload the pictures I took with my digital onto the Q1 for storage freeing up the cards and allowing me to take more pictures. For this purpose the Q can't be beat. I edited some photos and deleted the bad ones.

I also used the Q to keep up on my email while away from the office. Again, the Q is awsome at this. I enjoyed the experience much better than my Pocket PC. However I woudl suggest that if you are going to do any intensing emailing or document writing to get the keyboard. Mine was on backorder.

The device is great for caring with me intead of my 7lbs inspiron. I have been looking for a device like this for a long time and I do not regret my purchase one bit. I even have my dad wanting one.

Somethings I wold like to see is a higher storage capacity. 40gb sometimes just doesn't feel large enough.

Jason Dunn
06-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Very cool! Thanks for posting some feedback about it, I'm very curious about the UMPC concept as well, so I always like reading what people think about it. Maybe UMPC Thoughts will come along sooner than I thought... ;-)

Teemu Kainulainen
06-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Yep, thanks a lot for your feedback!

However, I'd be interested in hearing your views on how it's exactly better than a somewhat similar size normal tiny laptop? Is it all about the latest Tablet PC OS, or something else?

Cheers!

Outlaw94
06-29-2006, 06:18 PM
My views have everything to do with how I intended to use the UPMC compared to how I would use a normal tiny laptop.

Due to various past experiences I concluded that I needed something that I could operate with two hands and no desk or lap. This meant that the conventional laptop didn't meet my needs. I needed something I could operate standing up or in cramped enviroments.

I don't do alot of word processing, emailing, or chatting while on the road. If I was going to do that I would use my 8lb multimedia laptop with its built in keyboard.

My decision to go with a UPMC was for the pure versitility that the platform has to offer. For instance, If i'm headed to Mid-Ohio for a race and want to take the UPMC to offload my CF cards from my camera when they become full, I take the UPMC only. No keyboard or any other accesory. Very light and small. I don't even realize I have it when its in my back pack. However, If I was traveling home for the weekend and weight wasn't an issue, I would take the UPMC and keyboard. For me it's this customization of being able to take what I need.

I had origionally thought of purchasing a PMP that would allow me to offload pictures from my camera for storage or a portable harddrive that takes compactflash, but I would still end up carrying around my pocket pc for that slight emailing and internet browsing.

When the UPMC platform came out, it fit all my needs and then some. I carry the Q1 only. My pocket pc and PMP are now sitting at home on trips. That means less gear, AC adapters and weigh in the pack. Is the Q1 a little over kill for what my needs are? Probably. Do I enjoy a full blown windows computer in such a customizable, versitile form factor? You bet ya.

I hope this answered your question.

Jason Dunn
06-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Dang Outlaw94, you're making me want to buy a Q1! :D

Outlaw94
06-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Just do it Jason.

You know you can't resist the temptation.

We all know your the gadget king. :lol: