View Full Version : Nothing Stays Looking New Forever...or Does It?

Jeremy Charette
06-09-2006, 05:00 PM
I've got a great job, but I also have the commute from hell. Every day, I spend at least three hours in the car, going to and from work. Boredom reigns. A few months ago, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get an iPod, and it may be the single best thing I've ever done for my myself. I've been subscribing to podcasts about all kinds of topics, and putting together custom playlists so I never have to listen to the same thing twice. I am now a self-professed iPod lover. (As Jason would say, I've been drinking the Kool Aid.) But all is not perfect in the land of a thousand songs. I'd guess my number one complaint about the iPod is the same as everyone else's: it scratches far too easily. After just a couple of days, I already had scratches on the face that showed up as a rainbow effect when backlit by the screen.

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/000_0528-1.jpg

<!> The back of the iPod fares better, but it's still succeptible to scratches just like the front. So, like most iPod owners, one of the first things I bought was a case. But that didn't make the scratches go away, it just prevented new ones. I tried using Brasso to take out the scratches and swirl marks that were there, which helped, but it didn't even touch the deeper ones. Of course, I didn't bother to put my iPod on a soft towel or anything, nooo, I just held it down on the laminate kitchen counter. Imagine my dismay as I picked it up and saw the back of my once beautiful iPod. "Oh $%#! What did I do!?" 8O

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/000_0513.jpg

Last week I purchased Radtech's Ice Creme M (http://www.radtech.us/Products/IceCreme.aspx)scratch removal kit, hoping to take most of the blemishes off both sides of my iPod. I learned my lesson last time, and used one of the two included microfiber cloths to lay the iPod down on. I followed the instructions, and about 30-40 minutes later, had gotten rid of most of the medium size scratches on the front. The deeper ones were less noticeable, and I suspect it would have taken alot more effort to get them out. However, in direct light, I now had a faint spiderweb effect that I couldn't get rid of. Maybe with more time and effort it would go away, but by this point my fingers were tired, so I tackled the back.

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/000_0534.jpg

To remove scratches from the back, Radtech supplies you with a 1200-1500 grit soft sanding sponge, and metal polishing compound. As the instructions stated, I started with the polishing compound, then moved on to the sanding sponge. After just a few minutes, the difference was huge. Almost all of the deep blemishes were gone, and I was able to remove most of what was left with the polishing compound.

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/000_0535.jpg

So now that I had a mostly scratch free iPod, I didn't want to touch it! An hours worth of work could be ruined in just a few minutes with some boneheaded fumbling. Luckily I had the foresight to order an Invisible Shield (http://www.shieldzone.com/)for my iPod. Using the included applicator fluid, I was able to easily position the film on the front and back surfaces, and got most of the air bubbles out from under it with a credit card. There were still quite a few micro-bubbles under the surface, which bugged me, but the instructions said to wait 24 hours and those would disappear. Lo and behold, they were right! It now looks exactly like the picture below.

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/pic003.jpg

The mirror finish of the original front panel is gone, replaced with a sort of orange peel effect you can see in the picture. Once you turn the iPod on however, this doesn't affect the screen clarity, and the Invisible Shield really does appear invisible. This stuff is practically indestructible. I've been using my iPod for a week with just the Invisible Shield, and no other case or protective covering. I've shoved it in my bag with everything else I take to work, dropped it into the center console in the car...suffice to say, I haven't been babying the thing. I'm really impressed. No scratches, no blemishes, and it doesn't lift at the edges at all. Application can be tricky at first, but once you get it right it's on there forever.

The best part is that after I applied the Invisible Shield, the remaining scratches disappeared. Even when backlit by the screen, I can't see them anymore. I was blown away.

I'm really glad I found the Invisible Shield product, because now I can do away with cases entirely. I had picked up a Speck Products SkinTight (http://www.speckproducts.com/vid-skintight.htm)case and it was excellent (particularly since you could dock it in the desktop cradle while still in the case), but I can't use it with my car dock. With the Invisible Shield, I can dock the iPod in my car, or at home, without having to remove it from a case or worry about it getting scratched.

I have to put a disclaimer in here: I paid for these products at retail with my own hard-earned money. I wasn't supplied with discounted products or review samples from these companies, and I selected them based on other reviews I'd read. Hopefully you can learn from my mis-adventures and prevent your own iPod from ending up in the shape that mine did. If you have an iPod, or are thinking of getting one, get a case or a skin for it, before it gets scratched. If you use an Invisible Shield right out of the box, you'll be able to peel it off months or years from now, and your iPod will still look as new as the day you bought it. The old saying is true: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Lee Yuan Sheng
06-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I really can't be bothered. My own Zen Vision:M is scratched to hell, but I don't see why I need to spend more money and time over something that I rarely see that much. There's a screen protector on it from day 1, so that's good enough for me.

I suppose I'll probably regret that attitude if I ever need to sell the Zen though...

Jeremy Charette
06-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I've tried all kinds of screen protectors and films over the years (mostly for Pocket PCs), and this stuff is the best I've ever seen.

It also has a slightly "grippy" feel to it, so it's less likely to slip out of your hands.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial for the Invisible Shield, but this stuff really is impressive.

Jason Dunn
06-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh man. This is too funny, Invisible Shield sent me some of their stuff to try out on my Zen Vision:M, including some AppleSauce polish to remove the scratches. Way to go and steal my thunder. ;-) Good to hear it worked for you. Isn't it pathetic though that we have to go through this? How on earth can Apple and Creative release products that are so incredibly fragile? It just blows me away. MP3 players are portable devices, they should be tough.

Jeremy Charette
06-09-2006, 06:41 PM
:lol: I knew I should have just sent out requests for review samples! At least this way we'll have two independent opinions on the product.

A couple tips:

When you apply the Invisible Shield, remove it from the backing sheet using tweezers. I got a nice big fingerprint on my girlfriend's Invisible Shield, and you can faintly see it through the film.

Use way more application fluid than you think you need. If you don't use enough, the film sticks almost immediately, and you'll have to peel it off, re-wet, and re-apply.

Looking forward to that review Jason!

Janak Parekh
06-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Oh man. This is too funny, Invisible Shield sent me some of their stuff to try out on my Zen Vision:M, including some AppleSauce polish to remove the scratches. Way to go and steal my thunder. ;-) Good to hear it worked for you. Isn't it pathetic though that we have to go through this? How on earth can Apple and Creative release products that are so incredibly fragile? It just blows me away. MP3 players are portable devices, they should be tough.
Because Apple and Creative are now using very shiny, fragile glass and plastic surfaces. For some reason, the non-shiny material they use on cell phones doesn't seem to be what the vendors (or consumers?) want to use on MP3 players. :? What gets me is they went away from the iPod mini design -- which was damn tough -- back to the scratchable original iPod design.

BTW, I'm another happy InvisibleShield customer. I didn't align it perfectly on my nano, though -- it protruded over one edge -- and as a result that edge has come slightly undone. I'll probably eventually get another pack and reapply it, but when you apply it, as Jeremy suggests, use lots of fluid -- and take your time so you do it right. I took my time, but I should have checked the edge alignment. Oh well, live and learn. ;) It's doing a great job on the nano overall.

Frankly, Apple should just buy the company and preapply this stuff to the front. It still has a glossy veneer, and they'd eliminate 99.999% of the complaints. Of course, that will never happen. Apple philosophy is that you have to buy into Jobs' and Ive's vision, and while that vision is usually very, very good, it also means you have to buy into their occasional idiotic mistakes.

--janak

Jeremy Charette
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Eh, my application wasn't perfect either. I've got a fraction of a millimeter overhanging the lower right edge. It isn't peeling up, and probably won't (I can feel it with my finger tip but not grab it and peel it), but even if it does, hello, lifetime warranty!

Janak, if you registered your Shield, you should be able to send it back to them, pay the $2.95 s&amp;h, and get a brand new one.

On a related note, I got the full body IS for my girlfriend's Nano, and I didn't realize that it covered the whole front with one piece, even the clickwheel. Felt terrible, so I took a razor blade and sliced out the film over the click wheel. Put a couple small scratches in the clickwheel. I should have just peeled it off, chucked it, and gotten the "no clickwheel" version for the Nano instead.

Next article: Color Envy's iPod Front Panel Refurbishing. I'm interested to see if they really can make it look like new for $20.

Jeremy Charette
06-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Frankly, Apple should just buy the company and preapply this stuff to the front. It still has a glossy veneer, and they'd eliminate 99.999% of the complaints.

--janak

Wow. After I tried it on my iPod, I thought the exact same thing.

marlof
06-09-2006, 07:13 PM
I just let mine get scratched, and see the scratches as the scars of an old warrior. Which my 3G 30GB iPod is nowadays.

Janak Parekh
06-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Eh, my application wasn't perfect either. I've got a fraction of a millimeter overhanging the lower right edge. It isn't peeling up, and probably won't (I can feel it with my finger tip but not grab it and peel it), but even if it does, hello, lifetime warranty!
What happened in my case is that lint started collecting under that edge. I think mine is off by a millimeter or so. Anyway, once dust and lint started collecting, that started undoing the glue on that edge. :( I trimmed part of it off, but the remainder is too difficult to trim without using a knife, and I'm afraid to do that with the nano. 8O

Janak, if you registered your Shield, you should be able to send it back to them, pay the $2.95 s&amp;h, and get a brand new one.
Well... their website clearly says that application errors aren't covered. I'm not too upset about that; I've debated emailing them, though.

On a related note, I got the full body IS for my girlfriend's Nano, and I didn't realize that it covered the whole front with one piece, even the clickwheel. Felt terrible, so I took a razor blade and sliced out the film over the click wheel. Put a couple small scratches in the clickwheel. I should have just peeled it off, chucked it, and gotten the "no clickwheel" version for the Nano instead.
Yup, I got the no-clickwheel option. I think both have been replaced with a "separate clickwheel" solution, but I prefer my clickwheels non-covered. They don't scratch noticeably, anyway.

--janak

jeffd
06-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Different story, same ending. This has been pretty much the chant on the creative zen:m boards, though for us, we opt for the cheaper "best skin ever" brand. The same went for me, after babying my zen vision, it still managed a few scratches, including one or two kinda deep ones. I didn't want to risk polishing it (after all polishing is just scratching the rest of the surface away untill its level with the scratches, hence the swirly mini scrapes) so I just applied the skin. it went on perfectly and since then I havnt even remotly tried to protect it, and it looks as good as the ipod above, clean and clossy with the orange peel texture. Easily worth the price of admission.

Kent Pribbernow
06-10-2006, 11:06 PM
I use Power Support's (http://www.powersupportusa.com/) clear film on my iPod and it works FANTFRIGGINTASTIC! This is not an adhesive-based film either. Instead it uses what might be described as static cling to adhere to the iPod's clear finish. I've used this on my video iPod since I first purchased it and that was probably the best investment I ever made because it literally saved my iPod from a fate worse than death. The amount of scratches on my device, prior to installation were minimal thanks to my preventative measures.

Linky (http://www.powersupportusa.com/)

Jeremy Charette
06-10-2006, 11:25 PM
I used the Power Support Crystal Film on the gf's Nano, and I was unhappy with the appearance of the front panel. Too many bubbles, and it scratches, though not nearly as bad as the iPod's front panel.

If you like the Power Support products, try the Invisible Shield. I suspect you'll be a convert.

jfields
06-12-2006, 04:49 PM
I am extremely anal retentive when it comes to things like this. After buying my 60GB 5G ipod and noticing the very minor scratching that occured on the bottom just from puttong it on my desk. I did a little research and found these guys that sell a "skin" made of the same material for alot less money. I bought one for myself and my wife and one for my PSP. They are great very easy to put on and just like yours I can now cary my ipod without any case without worrying about scratches.

Best Skins Ever (http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront)

The Ipod Skins are only $7

Jeremy Charette
06-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Best Skins Ever appears to be the same urethane film as the Invisible Shield.

You'll pay more for the Invisible Shield, but you also get more. They have a lifetime guarantee (with free replacements), include a squeegee in the package, and also include a small spray bottle of application fluid. Shipping is free if you order direct from their website, vs. $2 from Best Skins Ever.

I'm interested to try the Best Skins Ever now, and see if the fit and finish is as good as the Invisible Shield. Doesn't really look like you can go wrong either way.