View Full Version : Chris Lanier: What's New In Media Center on Windows Vista?

Jeremy Charette
05-30-2006, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/archive/2006/05/24/96846.aspx' target='_blank'>http://msmvps.com/blogs/chrisl/archive/2006/05/24/96846.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"OpenCable Unidirectional Receiver (OCUR) CableCARD Support: Watch and record premium and HD cable content without the need for a set-top box. CableCARD–enabled PCs are specially certified PCs that will be available from most computer manufacturers when Windows Vista is released. Microsoft (Err Sonic/Roxio?) "MyTV ToGo": Launching with Windows Vista this fee-based application will allow syncing content to portable devices such as Portable Media Centers, iPod with video capability, PocketPC, or PlayStation Portable (PSP). Native DVD/MPEG-2 Codec Support: Media Center now includes DVD codec support natively. You no longer need to purchase a decoder from NVIDIA, InterVideo, or Cyberlink. Support for two dual-tuners: I'm assuming this means Media Center now officially supports recording four channels at once. HotStart: Allows OEM to configure the PC to start up like a CE device. Also allows Media Center session to be locked, not allowing users to exit. Mini-Guide: Cycle through the EPG using the directional buttons on your remote. No need to actually change channels or view the Guide fullscreen."</i><br /><br />Hit the jump to download the Windows Vista Product Guide and see what else Vista will have to offer. There's lots of very useful incremental improvements here, like HotStart, the ability to sync content to portable devices, and the Mini-Guide. It looks like Microsoft has cut it's teeth with XP and the launch of the Xbox 360. Future improvements will focus more on usability and integration than new capabilities. It really sounds like they've put the Voice of the Customer into their design process, keep it coming!

Filip Norrgard
05-31-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm very surprised to see that Windows Vista Media Center will not support DVB-C, DVB-S and DVB-S2. 8O This will mean that Windows Media Center will not sell well in Europe, and that I won't be buying MCE either.

Seems like Linux distro MythTV is the only "Media Center Edition" worth investing time in for us on the old continent... :roll: