View Full Version : Leaked Album May Have Boosted Sales for Chili Peppers

Jason Dunn
05-22-2006, 01:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/05/18/chili-pepper-charts.html?ref=rss' target='_blank'>http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/05/18/chili-pepper-charts.html?ref=rss</a><br /><br /></div><i>"California rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers have discovered that having a new album leaked online may not be a bad thing. Despite the leak, the band's latest album Stadium Arcadium has topped the latest Nielsen SoundScan music chart in the U.S. – the first time for the Los Angeles-based quartet in its 22-year history.The new album has also topped music charts in Canada, across Europe and in Japan, Mexico and Israel, according to a spokesperson for the band. In early May, the Chili Peppers discovered that the new album – a double-disc and the group's first album since 2002's By the Way – had been leaked onto the internet about a week before its May 9 release date. Bassist Flea spoke out on the band's website, pleading with fans not to download the pirated version."</i><br /><br />The article goes on to say that many who downloaded the album were probably eager fans who couldn't wait for the CD to be released. Makes sense, though my band had a CD coming out, I sure as heck wouldn't be excited about it being leaked online. 8O

Janak Parekh
05-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Makes sense, though my band had a CD coming out, I sure as heck wouldn't be excited about it being leaked online. 8O
Why not? I bet true fans would buy the album anyway -- and, given the size of RHCP's fanbase, a lot of people fit in that category.

Anyway, I wonder if this is the reason why RHCP's albums are not available as part of either Rhapsody or URGE's subscriptions?

--janak

Darius Wey
05-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Anyway, I wonder if this is the reason why RHCP's albums are not available as part of either Rhapsody or URGE's subscriptions?

Really? I recall seeing Stadium Arcadium in URGE.

Janak Parekh
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Really? I recall seeing Stadium Arcadium in URGE.
Yes, but not for download or streaming (subscription) playback. You have to buy the tracks. :(

--janak