View Full Version : Hybrid Discs Help Bridge the Gap To HD-DVD

Brendan Goetz
05-02-2006, 06:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2006-04-26T154710Z_01_N26247585_RTRUKOC_0_US-HDDVD.xml' target='_blank'>http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2006-04-26T154710Z_01_N26247585_RTRUKOC_0_US-HDDVD.xml</a><br /><br /></div><i>“Delivering on a promise made months ago, Warner Home Video has announced the first hybrid disc to feature high-definition (HD) DVD content on one side and standard DVD content on the other. Warner senior vp market management Steve Nickerson said several weeks ago that Warner would be releasing a series of "hybrid" discs to ease the transition from standard to high-def DVD. ‘Purchasing a disc now in this format gives consumers the greatest flexibility in viewing options,’ he said. ‘If they own an HD-DVD player, they'll get all the benefits of HD-DVD. If they're considering a future purchase of an HD-DVD player, they can still enjoy the movie (on their existing DVD player) until they upgrade.’”</i><br /><br />I think this is actually a pretty smart idea. Transitioning from one media format to a newer, better one can be a painful process (just ask me how many VHS tapes I still have – a lot, and how often I watch them – never). With this dual format, I can buy a disk, watch it now, and then when I get an HD-DVD drive (assuming they win the format war, but that’s another story) I can watch it in glorious HD. Plus, I think it will make people a lot more likely to upgrade if they have a bunch of these dual-discs lying around. Now, if only we could get then to pick some better movies (besides Goodfellas, which is awesome).

Jeremy Charette
05-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately the pricing on the first of the hybrid disc releases is horrendous, around $40. Ouch.

Damion Chaplin
05-02-2006, 04:01 PM
That's pricey all right, but I think I'd be willing to pay $40 for a hybrid disc, if it was something that was actually good enough to spend my money on in the first place. Even if I replaced all of my equipment right now with HD-only, I'd still want the SD-DVD side for taking to other peoples' houses. And that price will of course come down over time.

Jason Dunn
05-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Unfortunately the pricing on the first of the hybrid disc releases is horrendous, around $40. Ouch.

That's insane - I'd only be willing to pay for for a few movies. Like LOTR...