View Full Version : Email: Over 60 Billion Served...Per Day

Jason Dunn
04-26-2006, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060425/wr_nm/security_internet_dc' target='_blank'>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060425/wr_nm/security_internet_dc</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Internet users around the world send an estimated 60 billion emails every day and many of these are spam or scam attempts, business leaders said on Tuesday. Deutsche Telekom Chief Executive Kai-Uwe Ricke said cyber criminals were growing more active and sophisticated, and the vast email traffic meant industry, government and Internet users had to be vigilant and work together. "This figure was new for me as well -- worldwide there are around 60 billion emails sent every day," Telekom Chief Executive Kai-Uwe Ricke told an Internet security conference. "A large percent of it is spam," Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer added. German Interior Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble warned of the recent growth in "phishing" -- fishing for passwords, often via fake emails that especially target online banking."</i><br /><br />I remember back in the late '90s, it was a common idea that the Internet was going to collapse because there was just too much email flying back and forth. That didn't happen, and it never will happen, because email has become a core part of how a huge number of people on the planet communicate with each other. I had no idea the number of daily email messages was so high!

Damion Chaplin
04-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Yes, but what tiny fraction of those billions are actual valid emails from one real person to another? Case in point: In my day job, I receive about 350 emails a day. 99% of them are spam. Of those 350 emails, about 3 of them are for me personally and maybe another 3 for mailing groups that I belong to (I guess that's 2%). I have become quite adept at scanning email subject lines quickly, hitting the &lt;delete> key as fast as my eyes can scan (I can't use the more robust spam filters because they're not customer-friendly).

And yes, I know that was the point of the article...