View Full Version : This Just In: Home Theaters Do Not Suck

Brendan Goetz
04-23-2006, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/04/11/home-theater-vs-movie-theater/' target='_blank'>http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/04/11/home-theater-vs-movie-theater/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Why home theaters rock: The little screen: …Last time I went to see a movie on opening night, I showed up late and ended up in the first row needing a neck brace…No interruptions (unless I want there to be): If a cell phone goes off during a movie at home, I don't have to wonder what idiot forgot to turn his phone off, I know who it was and I can answer it if I want…Try getting the projector operator to back up a few minutes because your mom wanted to know how you're doing and why you never call."</i><br /><br />I agree with a lot of the things this guy has to say in response to <a href="http://www.cinemafusion.com/index.php?/weblog/more/why_your_home_theatre_sucks_and_movie_theatres_rock/">this article</a>. While I am always at the theater on opening night, at Midnight, when a big movie opens, I am finding it harder and harder to find a theater that is not full of rowdy teenagers and people who think it’s ok to bring your two-year-old to the first screening of Hostel. I like the big screen, and the big sound, and my girlfriend not being able to tell me to turn it down, but everything else tips in favor of the Home Theater. No talking, no seat kicking, no dumbass with the Dukes of Hazard ringtone. Just me and my Aquos. Ah Aquos, you will never betray me.

Felix Torres
04-23-2006, 10:16 PM
Dunno, but I don't have trouble with theaters.

Generally, I try to choose my theaters and showtimes with some care: if I'm alone, I go for the late afternoon showings when teenagers and noisy babies are home with parents. If I arrive relatively late, I go for the next showing, not the one almost full. If I have no choice and the only seats are way up-front, I walk back out and get a refund.
(You knew this was doable, right?)

Another common sense trick: pick theaters with large stadium-style auditoriums and sit as high up as possible. After all, any folks with kids won't want the climb and the talkative teenagers will run out of breath before getting that high.
:wink:

When it comes to movie-viewing, I have a lot more gripes about the content than the audience, which tends to behave round my neck of the woods.

Mind you, I have no problem with home theaters now that the tech is finally starting to catch up with the concept and delivering something that actually resembles actual theater quality at home...

sub_tex
04-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm in the same boat as Felix. My theater experiences are almost always very enjoyable. Maybe I'm just watching movies that most annoying patrons don't want to go see.

I will definitely either get tickets to a next showing or watch a different movie if the theater is full. Though, I do get to the theater very early to be sure of good seats. I used to work at a theater, so I'm ultra paranoid about the getting there late thing. I know how sucky it gets.

But do people really expect to get good seats opening night for a big movie when they show up 5-10 minutes before the movie starts? Heck, even 30 mins for a big blockbuster Star Wars type movie is too late for opening weekend.

But I do love the entire theater atmosphere and community. Nothing beats a good crowd at a great movie. A good crowd can make a horrible movie fun to watch. That collective awareness you all get when you realize "this isn't a very good movie is it..." then it all becomes a big joke.

ale_ers
04-26-2006, 04:27 PM
My wife and I used to go to a movie a week before we had children. But now that it is over, I can honestly say I don't miss it too much.

Sure I have to wait a little longer until it gets release on DVD, but those wait times are getting shorter and shorter. With Netflix and a big TV, when we do get a babysitter, I'd rather use that for a nice dinner or a chance to catch up with our friends.