View Full Version : Sony Enteresting into DSLR Market with "Alpha" Brand

Jason Dunn
04-20-2006, 06:53 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=1986' target='_blank'>http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=5&article_id=1986</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sony has established a new brand name for its DSLR cameras that will be launched worldwide this summer. Meaning “beginning” and “essential,” the symbol (pronounced alpha) embodies the spirit of Sony’s approach to the DSLR market. Under this sub-brand, Sony says they will produce a complete camera system of accessories and lenses to “enhance the enjoyment of photography.” The Sony alpha mount system of cameras, lenses and accessories will integrate advanced electromechanical technologies that are key to DSLR performance, the versatility of the well-established Maxxum lens mount system, plusSony’s knowledge in imaging devices and technologies. These include CCD and CMOS imaging sensors, as well as other image processing technologies, in addition to overall product miniaturization. Photographers and consumers who have already made investments in many of Konica-Minolta’s lenses and accessories will be able to take full advantage of Sony’s new DSLR cameras."</i><br /><br />So <i>this</i> is what Sony is up to with their acquisition of the Konica-Minolta. It's not a surprising move, but I do wonder what type of headway Sony can make against the 800 pound gorillas that are Nikon and Canon in the DSLR space.

Vincent Ferrari
04-20-2006, 07:31 PM
This oughta be fun... Some of the Sony experience we can be expected to enjoy:

1. Outdated models a day after you buy them.
2. Memory card formats that won't be around in a month.
3. Loss of functionality unless you use it with a VAIO.
4. Priced way beyond what they logically should be.
5. No accessories; they'll just come out with a new model that has the accessory you want built in.

I'm sorry, but Sony doesn't impress me. One can only hope that they adopt Konica Minolta, and just hang around under a new name rather than dragging them into the Sony fold and turning them into another Sony mess.