View Full Version : No Commercial Skipping for You!

Jason Dunn
04-19-2006, 10:12 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6062861.html?part=rss&tag=6062861&subj=news' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6062861.html?part=rss&tag=6062861&subj=news</a><br /><br /></div><i>"An invention from Royal Philips Electronics prevents TV viewers from switching the channel during commercials or fast-forwarding past commercials when watching DVR content. Viewers would be released from the freeze only after paying a fee to the broadcaster. The freeze would be implemented on a program-by-program basis, giving viewers a choice at the start of each one. According to a recently published patent, the apparatus could work inside a set-top box. It would use the standard Multimedia Home Platform to receive a first control signal and then respond by taking control of the TV. The MHP would also be capable of sending the payment information that would lift the freeze, as it does when authorizing pay-per-view content. If implemented, the invention would have a significant impact on television culture."</i><br /><br />As a publisher who makes his living primarily from advertising, I definitely understand the need for a revenue model, but as a consumer a technology like this would utterly infuriate me. Perhaps if every TV channel were free I could accept having to watch the ads, but if I'm paying $80 a month to my cable company, sitting through ads isn't an option.

sojourner753
04-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Agreed.

A commercial model for free content is understandable. But having to endure "harassment" with services that I've paid for is very irritating.

But all of that aside, a program that literally takes control of your TV is absurd.

Its also fodder for the hacker community. :twisted:

Damion Chaplin
04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Boy, if that isn't the biggest Shoot-Yourself-in-the-Foot idea I've ever heard! I mean, that's the entire point of owning a DVR. Are they really going to make me pay to fast forward through something I recorded 2 weeks ago? Absurd in the extreme.

If this actually happens, it will be bye-bye DVR, hello MCE. Screw HD content - it's not worth giving up the freedom to flip channels...