View Full Version : PSP Video Converters

Suhit Gupta
04-07-2006, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2006/04/05/psp_video_converters/1.html' target='_blank'>http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2006/04/05/psp_video_converters/1.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sony allows you to transfer video to the PSP's Memory Stick Duo card via a straight USB 2.0 hookup. There are lots of prerequisites you need for video to work. If any of these criteria aren't met, your video won't playback correctly on the PSP. There is some flexibility. You can encode audio and video at different bit rates for different quality, with a high bit rate obviously giving better quality (and a larger file size)... Rather than spend time working out all the intricacies of the file format and the size restrictions, it's easier to use a dedicated PSP video converter programme, and there is a whole flood of third party software that is designed to make life easier for the end-user. Some of it is paid-for, and some of it is free. Today, we're trying out three free packages to see which one makes for the most hassle-free conversion of PSP video."</i><br /><br />I had never actually used a PSP video converter before so I decided to give one a spin. I tried PSP Video 9 which is not only the article's top choice but also free. It really allows a lot of control over what the encoding should be like. Plus, at the time I was trying this out I was in a bit of a rush, so I wanted something quick and I felt that the software was able to oblige. The output was great too so overall I had a good experience. Do any of you use a video converter?

Chris Gohlke
04-07-2006, 05:13 PM
I use PSP Video 9 also, I am slowly working on converting my DVD's. I find that the PSP is really great as a video player. One of the things I really like about it is the abilty to queue up videos to convert and then just leave it running.

sneech
04-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I also use Video9.

So far I've only used it for short clips and some tv shows and it worked great.

Going to work on ripping dvds using dvdshrink and then using vid9 to convert the vob file tonight.

I'll have to look into the pspcasting like the review mentioned.

mcsouth
04-08-2006, 03:05 PM
I have been using PocketDivxEncoder, also free, for my video conversion duties. With a little experimenting, I have found settings that give me good image quality and play well on my PPC. It can also do batch encoding, so you easily set it up to run several movies through back to back. Only complaint that I have is that I haven't figured out how to save the finished files where I want them (by default, they are saved in the same folder as the VOB's), or rename the file that is saved (they save with a default name).

Having said that, I don't mind that much to rename and move the finished files to a folder where I store all of the results. I haven't been trying to convert my complete DVD collection (about 200 movies), but just rip and convert as desired. In general, the conversion seems to take about 45 mins to an hour on average for a standard length movie, which I think is pretty good. Sounds like that is about the same as PSP Video 9.

I haven't used PSP Video 9 before, although I did download it when I (briefly) owned a PSP. Can it convert the video to different final sizes other than the PSP resolution? That's one thing about PocketDivxEncoder that I like - you can select from several preset output resolutions. In my case, I select the 240x320 sizing for my PPC, but it has presets for a variety of devices, including smartphones, VGA devices, and other specific models with (I assume) different resolutions.

moyea
07-03-2006, 11:10 AM
this video converter (http://3gp-ipod-video.moyea.com) can convert video to 3gp, psp, ipod.