View Full Version : High-def Discs Will Never Require Dedicated Internet Connection

Suhit Gupta
03-23-2006, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/22/high-def_discs_will_never_require_wired_internet/' target='_blank'>http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/22/high-def_discs_will_never_require_wired_internet/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Contrary to statements made by reputable officials, reported in TG Daily and elsewhere, stating that Blu-ray and HD DVD high-definition video disc players would require dedicated and exclusive wired Internet connections in order to implement a key provision of AACS copy protection, a spokesperson for the AACS Licensing Administrator, who is also one of Microsoft's key representatives to AACS, told TG Daily yesterday afternoon that the copy protection system can utilize a customer's existing network equipment, including Ethernet routers and WiFi transmitters."</i><br /><br />So initially when I had heard about this news, I was shocked as most people were but then I got to thinking that this would mean one of two things -- 1) Blu Ray and HD-DVD would collectively fail; or 2) a lot more devices would now have dedicated wireless chips built into them. And honestly, who can complain about #2 ;-) ? Either way, the debate is settled and it looks like this is not going to be a requirement anymore.

jeffd
03-24-2006, 07:23 AM
I seem to recall a certain dvd manufacturer trying this and failing badly. ;) I don't think anyone will be tieing movie disc to specific players/people anytime soon. ^^

Felix Torres
03-24-2006, 02:11 PM
I seem to recall a certain dvd manufacturer trying this and failing badly. ;) I don't think anyone will be tieing movie disc to specific players/people anytime soon. ^^

Actually it was a retailer that came up with that idea, which wasn't all that hare-brained in concept but easily 10 years ahead of its time.
(Easy to do with current tech and hardware. And above all, deep home network market pemetration.)
You are talking about the Circuit City/DIVX debacle, right?