View Full Version : Making my headphones retractable?

baralong
03-22-2006, 04:45 AM
I've got some ear buds, actaully more ear cannal type. I really like them, comfortable good enough sound, good price. There's just one thing: the cable is too long. Also it tended to get tangled when I wound it up.

What I've done is take a cable retractor from an old USB phone charger and remove its cable and put my head phones in. It works reasonably well, except cable can't retract all the way in (the charging cable was much shorter)

My kids have a similar problem with their headphones for their MP3 players. We can't be the only ones: like the 'phones cable is too long.

Does anyone know where I can buy the retractors? I've only been able to find combo sets and it seems a bit of a waste to buy some other cable and throw it away.

I'd be willing to buy a few (half a dozen or so) to cut down on shipping costs, shipping to Australia.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Jason Dunn
04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a cool idea! I don't know that you'll find anyplace that sells just the retractors, because your scenario is a very rare one. Your best bet may be buying some ultra-cheap retractable cables on eBay.

stradlemonkey
02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
hi guys, new to this board, but this thread caught my eye. i've actually seen (and purchased a pair) of the small "in-ear" bud-style earphones with a built in retractor, just like you want, at a Dollar Tree Store ($1 for everything). they work great, especially for a buck. it kind makes me ticked, as i'd had the same idea 6-7 years ago, though my idea was to use a cord retractor in larger "muff-style" headphones (who like wrapping the cord up???), having the cord retract with a tug into one of the sides. alas, i've been beaten to the punch.... i hope you find earbuds in your area, or let me know and i'll keep my eyes open for another pair. i'll risk $1 on someone i've met on a tech message board :-)
-Stradlemonkey/ Animus Pugna

Mchilly
03-08-2007, 03:16 AM
Try to check ebay and amazon...you might find it there.