View Full Version : Ok, I did it, I'm Going to be a Nikon D200 Owner

Jason Dunn
03-09-2006, 05:00 PM
After much research, reading, thinking, pondering, and basic math to figure out if I can afford it, I've placed an order for a Nikon D200. Ladies and gentlemen, after years of being a die-hard Canon man, I'm making the jump over into Nikon land. Now before you start booing and hissing, please hear me out. ;-)

The "default" camera I was thinking about was the Canon 20D, because I had heard great things about it and, after all, I was a Canon guy. I was waiting for news on the 30D, because the 20D was getting a bit long in the tooth, and I started considering what Nikon had to offer. The D50/D70 were more or less in the same category as my Digital Rebel, so I was looking to step it up a notch and really get deep into photography. When I held the Nikon D200 in my hands, it just felt...right. I might have been swayed by the 18-200 lens, so I went back to the same store a week ago and took another long look at the camera itself. I'm sure that any of you serious photographers can attest to the fact that while the camera is just a tool, it has to feel like the right tool. The Canon 20D I was holding certainly didn't feel wrong, but the Nikon D200 just felt...more right. ;-) Every review I've read of the Nikon D200 was very positive, with few negatives, which certainly helped sway my opinion. The fact that the Canon 30D wasn't an overly impressive release swayed it even further.

I've placed an order with two different stores to try and increase my chances of getting the camera, but it's looking like April before I'll see anything. People in the USA can get it sooner, but much to my dismay, Nikon has a per-country warranty, meaning if I get the camera from the USA, I can't get warranty service from Nikon Canada. Doh! I've also placed an order for the 18-200mm lens, the Tokina 12-24mm lens (the Nikon was just too expensive, and the Tokina performs almost as well (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm)), a spare battery, and the SB-600 flash. I got some media price discounts from Nikon Canada, but the savings were very minor. My hopes of getting the Nikon 12-24mm lens for the same price as the Tokina lens were dashed very quickly. This is going to be quite an investment for me, so I'm going to be a Nikon guy for a long, long time. Here I come!

Are there any Digital Media Thoughts readers that own the Nikon D200, or perhaps the earlier D100? I know there are lot of Canon owners that read this site, but I need some support from the Nikon owners now. ;-)

Jason Kravitz
03-09-2006, 05:17 PM
My Dad had a D100 and now recently just purchased a D200. With the D100 he was often in awe of the photos right out of my 20D in terms of colors, exposure (I typically shoot in manual or aperture priority so part of the good exposure has to do with my settings but the camera meter that I'm relying on does a great job).

With the D200 he has been really pleased with his images out of the camera plus he loves the feel of the camera, controls, menus etc.

You can check out some of his shots at http://steve.aminus3.com

Like you said - go with what feels right!

Jonathon Watkins
03-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Happy shooting Jason. :D

I'm a Canon man myself, but I can really see how good the D200 is. Canon dropped the ball on this round of new cameras. Hopefully it will spur them on to do better in September for Photokina. (A Pro2 would be much, Much better ;-)

In the end - like you said - it's a tool. The lenses tie you in, so you have a greater commitment, but it's a tool. I wish you all the best for producing more great images. 8)

dane
03-10-2006, 04:31 PM
I've always liked Canon. I loved my old A1 and my first gen Rebel. But after that I thought that Canon started to suffer from feature bloat. The last film SLR I owned was a Sigma SA-9. It won out over a Canon Elan 7E because the Elan had too many menus.

When I went to DSLR, I ended up buying a Maxxum 7D. It feels first like a camera, not a computer. While I will not deny that the 20D produces the highest quality photos in the sub $2000 class, I can't ergonomically get used to that silly control wheel on the back (apparently lots of people love it, but then I prefer my Zen Micro to an I-Pod), the dual purpose buttons on top or the tiny joystick control. My 7D is all dials and switches and simple to use.

If I was buying today, I'd be wary of the future of Minolta support and would turn to the D200. In my opinion, it's controls are head and shoulders above the 20D (and 30D) from a usability standpoint and there's no doubting lens quality and availability. My only concern would be comfort. I'd need to hold one to be sure. I have severe carpal tunnel and some cameras, like the D70 simply hurt to hold. Interestingly, my 7D outweighs the D70, but the ergonomics are so much better that I can hold it all day without pain.

I just bought my wife a D50 and I'm very impressed with it so far. I guess I've made my brand decision. If I move off of my 7D, I'm going to Nikon. One of these days I'm going to head down to the camera store to hold a D200 and try not to drool all over it.

Lee Yuan Sheng
03-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Jason, you described the time when I first held the F100. It just felt right. I bought one within the next week.

Personally, I still think Nikon egronomics is a class above Canon's. They're just that much nicer to use.