View Full Version : Congress Raises Broadcast Flag For Audio

Chris Gohlke
03-04-2006, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6045225.html' target='_blank'>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6045225.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Digital radio receivers without government-approved copy-prevention technology likely would become illegal to sell in the future, according to new federal legislation announced Thursday. Rep. Mike Ferguson, a New Jersey Republican, said his bill--which would enforce a so-called "broadcast flag" for digital and satellite audio receivers--was necessary to protect the music industry from the threat of piracy."</i><br /><br />Nothing like more laws to help protect the music industry from a non-existent threat. On the plus side, if you own a current generation receiver, your potential resale price might be going up.

BugDude10
03-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Would someone please tell the music and movie industries, and the politicians on their payroll, that the more they restrict us -- the legitimate consumers of their product -- the less of their product we will buy? :roll:

Kacey Green
03-05-2006, 08:54 PM
hopefully this will go the way of the broadcast flag for HDTV, (nowhere)

sojourner753
03-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Would someone please tell the music and movie industries, and the politicians on their payroll, that the more they restrict us -- the legitimate consumers of their product -- the less of their product we will buy? :roll:

If only that were true. The masses will be more than content to live with whatever restrictions are imposed. As long as the user's perception is that it easy and not too pricey. Its we the power users that no whats going on.

On the flip side, any loss of sales will only add more fuel to the Media Industry propoganda about piracy. Thereby increasing the likely hood of more restrictions, and more desperate actions on the industries part. No one wants to hear that sales are down because CD are far to expensive and the product quality is way down. Atleast in my opinion.