View Full Version : UMD Movies Fail to Impress, Studios Slow Down Releases

Suhit Gupta
02-20-2006, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060216-6201.html' target='_blank'>http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060216-6201.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"When Sony announced that it would begin selling bundles of UMD movies, the situation behind-the-scenes became somewhat clear. It had been suspected for quite some time that Sony's aspirations for charging portly prices for diminutive discs would amount to yet another flash in Sony's pan, despite some initial successes. When they announced their new bundling plans, Sony was essentially signaling that their previous approach was in trouble. Now we know for certain. According to Variety Magazine, Studios aren't seeing the interest that they had hoped for, and now Paramount, Warner Home Entertainment, and even Sony itself are cutting back on releases. With the average release selling only 50,000 units, sales are beyond sluggish."</i><br /><br />I believe I predicted it almost as soon as they announced the pricing model on UMDs. It basically costs the same amount as a DVD and is only viewable on the PSP. I just don't see how that is a sustainable model. If they sold an extra device (even for money) that would do some sort of conversion, even if it were converting it for Sony DVD Players, then at least I could justify going that way. But c'mon, now I would have to spend double the amount to own a movie, i.e. DVD and UMD. I've had a PSP for almost a year now (thanks to a wonderful graduation present from friends) and I don't own a single UMD movie for just that reason. Perhaps Sony needs to start a Netflix like model with UMDs?

BugDude10
02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
I agreed at the time that the UMD video market would tank. While I very much enjoy watching movies on my PSP, I'm simply not going to drop $20 USD on a movie that I can watch only on the PSP -- especially when I can easily rip and transfer a DVD into PSP-format with PQDVD's PSP Movie Creator, and have the best of both worlds. (I think the bundling idea is a good one, but frankly I'm not sure that I'd spend even an extra couple dollars to get the UMD, given that (1) I have enough game UMDs floating around already, and (2) the PQDVD software works so well.)

Just my $0.02.

windeath
02-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Hi

New member (as of 2 mins ago) and had to, as BugDude10 said, add my $0.02 worth.

I was a very early adoptor of the PSP here in Australia, (I have an imported Japanese model) as I am a self confessed gadget geek. I was impressed by what was available on the PSP when it launnced and with what was to come as future "enhancements". As soon as a UMB movie came out that I liked I bought it (and a set of speakers with subwoofer) hoping for some kind of new magical gadget experience. But alas I think as I look back on it I was in effect "duped". It's fun to watch a movie on a clear LCD screen that's portable, but in comparison to my Plasma with surround sound, it really pales.