View Full Version : Carbonite Digital Photo Backup Service

Jason Dunn
02-14-2006, 10:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://affiliates.carbonite.com/up.asp?id=1015' target='_blank'>http://affiliates.carbonite.com/up.asp?id=1015</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Carbonite is Backup for Everyone™ — a simple, safe online backup service for casual home PC users, students, home office users, road warriors, etc. For a few dollars a month, Carbonite will backup all the stuff on your PC (digital photos, music, office documents, and other valuable data) whenever your PC is connected to the Internet. Carbonite is very easy to setup and use, requiring little or no ongoing user involvement. Our service is always on and continuously protecting data on your PC whenever it is connected to the Internet!"</i><br /><br />Interesting idea - a narrowly focused backup service that focuses purely on photos. $29.95 a year for unlimited photo backup is reasonable, but the real power here is the fact that there's a software client and it's fully automated. I'm a big believer in automated systems, because human beings are just unreliable creatures. I know I am. ;-) This isn't a photo sharing service, it's just backup, but I know several people who could benefit from something like this. I think that's ultimately the failing that many of the photo sharing services have (such as Smugmug and Flickr) - no desktop client for automated uploading. <br /><br />I'm using <a href="http://www.foldershare.com">FolderShare</a> to replicate my photos across five computers, so I'm not worried about losing a hard drive, but those photos are vulnerable to a fire in my office, or, say, a meteor hitting. :lol: Carbonite looks like a solid solution. I've always been interested in services such as this, but most are priced far too expensive. $29.95 a year for unlimited photo storage seems quite reasonable to me. Anyone using a similar service? [Affiliate]

02-14-2006, 03:13 PM
I think it's the first backup solution I've seen with unlimited storage... Hmm, getting interested... Time to find the catch.

I don't get the different products though, Photo Backup and Office Backup, same price. Could it be limiting on file extensions? If so, I hope .crw is included in Photo Backup.

Malte

02-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Pros and cons from a very quick test.

Cons:

* No raw image file support.
* If you only want a specific folder backed up, you have to select ALL OTHERS as "Do not backup". Jeez.
* No "Backup now" button, seems like you have to restart to trigger the backup.

Pros:

* User friendly. (I guess)
* Seems to bee running as a service, got an error message prior to login saying no internet connection.

Malte

mrwickham
02-14-2006, 04:39 PM
This is a very interesting solution. The photobackup handles both jpg and raw files - cool. However, the term "unlimited" is a little vague/misleading.

From their FAQ page. . .

"As a practical matter, the speed of today’s DSL and cable Internet services will make it very slow and cumbersome to back up more than, say, 40-50GB of data, so we don’t recommend it. Carbonite is ideal for the average PC user who has somewhere between 1GB and 10GB of data. Our Terms of Use will allow us to deny service to abusers."

So if I have over 10GB then I can't use them or get charged extra? What is the average user? I have 5 gig in memory cards and will be getting more for a upcoming Europe trip. I didn't think that was much, especially because I shoot in RAW on a 20D.

Great idea - I just think unlimited should mean unlimited or at least tells us the price points for different storage amounts. Shame it would have been a nice Valentine gift to myself :D

Jason Dunn
02-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Could it be limiting on file extensions? If so, I hope .crw is included in Photo Backup.

They say they only support JPEG and RAW, so I think you're out of luck. That's how they offer unlimited storage, by limiting the file type.

02-14-2006, 04:48 PM
They say they only support JPEG and RAW, so I think you're out of luck.

I just tried it and it doesn't recocnise my crw's. Is raw a file extension?

swamik
02-14-2006, 07:48 PM
I think it's the first backup solution I've seen with unlimited storage... Hmm, getting interested... Time to find the catch.

Hi,

I work for Carbonite. Storage really is unlimited!

As for file extensions, the current version backs up RAW and JPG files. However, PhotoBackup (www.carbonite.com) will support .crw files as well as nearly 20 other photo and (small) movie formats in just a few weeks. Current trial and paid users will get an upgrade for free and free trials of the new version will continue to be offered! The new version will also have a simplified, snazzier interface. Thanks for your interest!

swamik
02-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Pros and cons from a very quick test...

RAW files are supported, and soon, we'll support ~20 other photo and small moview formats. There is no "Backup Now" button, but Carbonite automatically springs into action when your PC is idle to back up the files it needs to. That way, we won't slow down your computer or internet connection when you're sitting at your desk.

swamik
02-14-2006, 07:54 PM
So if I have over 10GB then I can't use them or get charged extra? What is the average user? I have 5 gig in memory cards and will be getting more for a upcoming Europe trip. I didn't think that was much, especially because I shoot in RAW on a 20D.

Hello. I work for Carbonite. If you check out my other post here you'll see that Carbonite really is unlimited. Our note in the FAQ simply points out the fact that, if you have 100GB, it will take a long time to do your first backup. But the price is still $30/yr!

If you are a company and try to upload 1 terabyte from your server, well, then you are probably an abuser. So we may look askance at you. But your 10GB (or 15GB or 20GB) is no problem for us. Go ahead, try it! Take as many pictures as you'd like in Europe and enjoy your trip!

02-14-2006, 08:18 PM
As for file extensions, the current version backs up RAW and JPG files. However, PhotoBackup (www.carbonite.com) will support .crw files as well as nearly 20 other photo and (small) movie formats in just a few weeks.

Sounds promising swamik! About the app, can we get a advanced user mode, something not so dumbed down? I.e. a way to point to a folder I want to backup, instead of selecting all I don't want to back up.

Thanks!

Malte

swamik
02-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Sounds promising swamik! About the app, can we get a advanced user mode, something not so dumbed down? I.e. a way to point to a folder I want to backup, instead of selecting all I don't want to back up.

In late April, when we do our next release (after the one I promised in a few weeks), we're considering including this option. There will be an "advanced user mode" for sure.

Thanks!

flooder
02-15-2006, 03:12 AM
This is why I love this site. We get answers from the horse's mouth.

Now on to the question, If you were to add support for Minolta's RAW format you would have a paying customer. We don't all use N &amp; C equipment.

brian_r_baker
02-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Anyone using a similar service?I have been using Backup Solutions (http://www.backupsolutions.com/) for a couple years. I have 4GB of any type of data at $14.95 a month. I use it for my personal photo collection as well as other important (work-related) files. I wouldn't mind finding a cheaper service though!!

flooder
02-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I got an email from Carbonite this morning.

Here is the formats that are coming soon:
nef kdk dcr srf crw mrw opf raf tiff gif png bmp psd avi mpeg asf mov

Movie files need to be &lt;15MB

So for me, as soon as I see the mrw files being sucked across then I'll probably sign up.

02-16-2006, 02:27 PM
I have 4GB of any type of data at $14.95 a month. I use it for my personal photo collection as well as other important (work-related) files.

I could stand $15 for an unlimited plan, no filetype restrictions and a good desktop app, but 4 gigs would last 5 minutes.

Malte

***long message quote trimmed by mod JD***

02-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I got an email from Carbonite this morning...

You get emails? Hu... Maybe I opted out somewhere. Did it say if the &lt;15MB limit is general or only for moviefiles. psd's have tendancy to get ginormous.

Malte

flooder
02-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Sorry I didn't explain well.

I had submitted a "suggestion" email to them, and got a reply. She said "Please note that we will only backup movie files that are smaller than 15MB"

hans
02-17-2006, 12:32 AM
I tried it with 43GB of photos and it worked like a champ. It also backed up a lot of "junk" pictures, such as clip art. But since i'm not paying by the GB, I don't really care. I found our that you can easily exclude folders that you don't want to back up, but probably nobody will bother.

Jason Dunn
02-17-2006, 12:48 AM
I tried it with 43GB of photos and it worked like a champ.

Wow, you must have some serious uploading pipes to pull that off! That can't have been from home, can it...? 8O

hans
02-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Yeh, it took close to two weeks before it was all backed up over my DSL, but it's all there now, and new pictures seem to get backed up in a few minutes, as you would expect. It probably would have gone a little faster if I hadn't been using my PC a lot because Carbonite seems to pause when you're using the PC -- their FAQ says that's because they don't want to slow down your PC or internet connection. Hmm? I'm actually pretty amazed this really works -- I expected this would have blown up or something by now. I don't get their pricing. I've been paying iBackup $49.95 a month for 25GB. So how can Carbonite do this for $29.95 for a year? I'm skeptical, too good to last.

Jason Dunn
02-17-2006, 09:03 PM
So how can Carbonite do this for $29.95 for a year? I'm skeptical, too good to last.

It's all about the math - online storage companies such as iBackup have been probably been gouging customers, new companies such as Smugmug and Carbonite know that if they pay $300 for a 500 GB hard drive, odds are good that most customers will only have a few GB of images. They make money on those people. They probably lose money on people like you with 40+ GB of data, but most people don't have that many photos. So it's all about the averages...

hans
02-18-2006, 09:59 PM
If what you say is right, then it costs about $.60 per gigabyte for disk. So it's costing Carbonite about $25 in disk space to store my data. At $29.95 a year, maybe they break even the first year, but they can make money in subsequent years. We'll see if Carbonite shuts me off because they're losing money on me. Be interesting to see. Meanwhile, it just hums along in the background doin' its thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed. BTW, do you think they are really encrypting my files? Is there any way to verify that?

swamik
02-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Anyone using a similar service?I have been using Backup Solutions (http://www.backupsolutions.com/) for a couple years. I have 4GB of any type of data at $14.95 a month. I use it for my personal photo collection as well as other important (work-related) files. I wouldn't mind finding a cheaper service though!!

Well, you're in luck. I run marketing at Carbonite - we haven't decided exact pricing yet, but in May we will launch our comprehensive backup product. We'll backup all the data on your PC for ~$5 per month, unlimited capacity.

swamik
02-19-2006, 12:30 AM
I tried it with 43GB of photos and it worked like a champ. It also backed up a lot of "junk" pictures, such as clip art. But since i'm not paying by the GB, I don't really care. I found our that you can easily exclude folders that you don't want to back up, but probably nobody will bother.

Exactly. Your "junk" is a bunch of small (tens of kbytes) picture files that various apps use for icons or whatever. No harm in backing them up - it adds minutes to the (background, silent) backup process. And yes, all at a fixed cost.

swamik
02-19-2006, 12:32 AM
I have 4GB of any type of data at $14.95 a month. I use it for my personal photo collection as well as other important (work-related) files.

I could stand $15 for an unlimited plan, no filetype restrictions and a good desktop app, but 4 gigs would last 5 minutes.

Malte

Yes, and note he says $15/MONTH! Carbonite is $30/YEAR. Our full backup product (all your data, not just pics) will probably be under $60/YEAR - launch in late Arpil / early May.

Email me if you want to test the beta!

swamik
02-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Yeh, it took close to two weeks before it was all backed up over my DSL, but it's all there now, and new pictures seem to get backed up in a few minutes, as you would expect. It probably would have gone a little faster if I hadn't been using my PC a lot because Carbonite seems to pause when you're using the PC -- their FAQ says that's because they don't want to slow down your PC or internet connection. Hmm? I'm actually pretty amazed this really works -- I expected this would have blown up or something by now. I don't get their pricing. I've been paying iBackup $49.95 a month for 25GB. So how can Carbonite do this for $29.95 for a year? I'm skeptical, too good to last.

Well, Hans, we think you've been paying WAY too much. The bottom line is that storage and communication costs have been falling rapidly, but online backup vendors have not passed on the savings to the consumer. That's why almost no one uses online backup. We hope to change that.

As for how we do it profitably at such low prices...well that's the secret sauce :-) You'll just have to trust us that we wouldn't have gotten into this business if we thought we couldn't make money.

flooder
05-18-2006, 01:43 AM
Does the Photo Version still exist or on the the "all PC' version?

I did the trial but my PC screwed up the update and the 'right click' to exclude folders from backup so I disabled it. Now I want to buy it and there is only the 'whole PC'

Jason Dunn
05-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Does the Photo Version still exist or on the the "all PC' version? I did the trial but my PC screwed up the update and the 'right click' to exclude folders from backup so I disabled it. Now I want to buy it and there is only the 'whole PC'

I think they've phased it out the photo only version and now they back up everything for one price. I've signed up as an affiliate and have been using the product quite a bit lately:

http://affiliates.carbonite.com/up.asp?id=1015

I'll be posting about it on the front page again soon...