View Full Version : Welcome to the new Portable Media Player Forum!

Jason Dunn
02-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the new forum! Having recently got my first real PMP, a Creative Zen Vision:M, I'm really excited about PMPs in general, so I wanted to create a forum to discuss all manner of PMP devices...the one exception being Portable Media Center devices, which will still have their very own forum.

What kind of a PMP do you have? What's your history with PMPs?

RR-3 V
02-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Aye, I'm look'n in to buy a Iriver or Archos 20-60gb. My band mates just got an Ipod 20gb and a Ipod 60gb. I usually like to get different brands unless it comes to amps. I was wondering can you change the gb from an portable media player? Like an upgrade, just a thought. I wasn't really into mp3's, didn't know about media players. Now that I know about media players they shred. It's amazing. Also are there any 100gb+ media players out there? Thanks

p.s. how do a get a pic on top of the name? :snipersmile: :drinking:

Jason Dunn
02-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I was wondering can you change the gb from an portable media player?...are there any 100gb+ media players out there?

Change it, as in upgrade it with a bigger hard drive? No, not really. It might be possible in some cases, but it's not like a desktop PC that you can crack open and easily upgrade. You'd have to open up the player, void the warranty, and hope that you'd get a compatible drive.

This is a 100 GB player:
http://www.archos.com/products/tv_centric/av_500/index.html?country=global&lang=en

p.s. how do a get a pic on top of the name?

Go to your preferences (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=editprofile) and at the very bottom there's an option to upload an avatar. Click browse, find the file you want to upload (75 x 75 pixels maximum size), then upload it.

RR-3 V
02-28-2006, 07:58 AM
thanks, I like the archos av500. I recently saw an olympus one. Not sure what to get, most likey the archos av500. Are there any other media players as good as archos? Thanks 8)

igroknful
05-24-2006, 06:19 PM
I just bought an Archos AV500 100GB. The interface is kind of weird but I've gotten used to it. The display is excellent and the audio for the movies is excellent also. :D I've loaded 6 movies off of my Dish DVR but I haven't loaded any music yet. I converted my iPod Nano content to mp3s but I haven't decided what music interface to use yet. Does anyone have suggestions? I've used iTunes and MusicMatch. I was worried about accessories but there are quite a few. I got a stand up case, the case that came with it is cheesy, a large battery and a number of other items.

FBL
05-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Welcome to the new forum! Having recently got my first real PMP, a Creative Zen Vision:M

After reading reviews for months. I decided on the Creative Zen Photo 8MB (Titanium Gray) which I was about to order from Amazon for $180. Although I don't have an MP3 playrer, except for my Axim X50v, I wanted to make this purchase for my wife.

My wife has a bunch of classical CDs and plays them on a bedside boombox.

For months I've been filling her head on a way to select titles from a screen with a remote control. I had seen something like this on a TechTV show a year or so ago. I thought by now they'd be a small stereo system available that would have this technology, something like a BIG portable MP3 player.

She started telling the kids about my ideas, so I started looking in earnest. The only thing available were MP3 players, and boy, they were all so small. Too small for her to handle, and too small to read. My 63-year-old wife is extremely near-sighted. She would need a bigger screen, like the one on the original iPod. And, anything she gets would need to be simple to operate. She hates technology. (She can check email on our WinXP computer, but usually stays away from the machine for months at a time.)

Reviews are terrible. For every positive review, I found 5 negatives. And visa-versa.

I thought I'd check this site for some last minute "heads up" on MP3 players. I read that the Creative Zen Photo's screen is too small, can't be read well outside, and is not the best bet for veiwing photos. Oh, well.

You seemed to like your Creative Zen Vision:M. Would you reccomend this? I wasn't thinking of spending this much, but an upgrade would be cheaper to make at this time. Also, this could be used to play video from my Minolta A1, or other cameras.

Many thanks.

Frank

Jason Dunn
05-27-2006, 05:51 AM
FBL,

It sounds like what you want, rather than an MP3 player, is a networked media player such as this:

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/index.php

Nice, but screen, remote control, easy to operate. I have the big one, and it's fantastic! You connect speakers to it, and you're off to the races...

idea2go
04-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Hello ... don't know if this forum is active but I thought I'd give it a try. If you can recommend another place to go for recommendations please do!

Just got a minivan that has a built in DVD player and component audio/video input jacks (red, white, yellow).

We're totally digital at home with iTunes etc (what's a CD or DVD????) so I'm looking for a player to "take it with me". Basically I don't care much about the screen quality etc but it has to be able to output to component video (using an adapter is OK), charge while in the car (USB charging would be good or a car charger), have an interface to allow us to set up play lists for audio (sync with iTunes would be ideal!) and be able to output videos also.

Any suggestions on a player I should consider?

Thanks in advance for any tips.