View Full Version : WMP10: How do you convert files?

Jason Eaton
01-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Okay, windows media 10 has got me stumped. How do I convert files with it? I have a bunch of MP3 files I want to convert to WMA and have for use on my phone.

I see I can Rip cd's into either MP3 or WMA, but I want to work right from the file.

Not to compare Apples to MS here but in iTunes I could select the file and then under Advanced hit convert and it would swap the file around. Is this possible with windows?

I am trying my best here but all I see are programs I can BUY to do this, where is the love from MS or all they all bluster but no show for WMA support?

Jason Eaton
01-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Okay, seems I have stumped 20 odd people who have read this thread but have no leads. I will settle for any suggestions at this point where I don't have to retag my MP3... and 128 or greater kbps.

I found something from Microsoft but it is a Plus! LE app and only goes to 96kbs... Any suggestion out there?

Lee Yuan Sheng
01-24-2006, 06:18 AM
Slot your card into a card reader, go to Tools > Devices > Drive of your card, and select Properties. There should be a tab that lets you choose the quality.

Jason Eaton
01-26-2006, 12:40 AM
I am not sure I follow what your suggesting.

I have connected the card through the card reader and now see it as a removeable drive. However under the tool menu option for WMP10 I do not see a devices option. Using windows explorer I do not see any devices option either.

Could you post a screen shot because I am not seeing what you are suggesting.

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Opps, I screwed up there. It's Tools > Options, then go to the "Devices" tab, then select the drive.

nukacola
07-07-2006, 11:53 AM
i never thought that its possible to convert mp3 files to wma.
mp3 file is the most compressed file and there is absolutely no need to convert it in wma.
or ive missed the point?

digitalman
07-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Now I started to try SoundTaxi (http://www.soundtaxi.info) audio converter - it converts mp3 to different formats and works quickly )
Take a look at the thread I've just started:
http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=63912#63912

Cheers... :)

Jason Dunn
07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Here, I happen to have written a tutorial on this subject:

http://www.twoinchview.com/?p=21

:D

Jason Eaton
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Your question is quite easy to sovle...

My apologies for not being clear earlier in my post. Previously I belonged squarely in the Apple iPod camp, however I wasn't drinking the kool-aid as the joke goes and all my music was in mp3 format.

Mainly so I could go back and forth between players if I ever wanted to.

Then along came a nice music player phone. I thought I would try it out and reduce my device carrying. However the phone required all songs to be in WMA format. Not a problem, make a backup copy of my library and off to the races.

Now I guess my thinking was flawed in moving forward here. In iTunes there is a nice converter built in to iTunes that will allow you to convert mp3's to AAC. This was a very nice addition for the user, and something I got accustomed to having the ability to do.

So I go ahead and fire up Windows Media player, I can tell it what to rip music into but there was no easy cross conversion that I could find. To me it just seemed rediculous that for a company wanting people to convert to their players that they wouldn't include a format converter. It just seemed so logical that I must have missed it when I asked for help.

When I looked at Microsofts site, what I found was that they wanted to charge me for something I thought should be free. We could debate about that line of thought but at the time it just pissed me off. So far it has been nothing but headaches trying to use WMA no matter how I wanted to try, it was as if MS was throwing up roadblocks to keep me from doing it.

Well, to end this story I found a trial version of pay software and converted my copied library to WMA and tried the phone. The files were fine but the interface was horrid.

Suffice to say I have gone back to using the iPod with my MP3's. I'll take a look again at converting one day if MS gets its act together and makes a good user experience. I am not a rat in a maze trying defferient codec and compression methods, I just want to play my music.

Thank you for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Jason Eaton
08-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Dear John_2006

There is this interesting thing called new posts, happened to look at it. Now it is amazing that for a new person, with only six posts, that all six of your posts are about the 'wonderful' software of 'Xilisoft 3GP converter'.

Now if I call a duck a duck, because it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a duck. Well... I have to say I hate thinly veiled spammers.

Jason Dunn
08-01-2006, 07:16 PM
There is this interesting thing called new posts, happened to look at it. Now it is amazing that for a new person, with only six posts, that all six of your posts are about the 'wonderful' software of 'Xilisoft 3GP converter'.

Indeed. His account has been banned.