View Full Version : Men Like Their HDTVs Big, While Women Prefer Them Smaller

Chris Gohlke
12-23-2005, 03:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=25470' target='_blank'>http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=25470</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Guys like their big screens while women prefer more modest HDTVs. Not surprisingly, 70% of men were interested in purchasing an HDTV with a screen size of at least 37". Women on the other hand prefer HDTVs smaller than 37". Historically, the decision on what kind of TV to buy has apparently rested with men, and nearly two-thirds (66%) of those recently surveyed by Opinion Research Corporation said the decision was still theirs. However, these men may face some opposition from their significant others, since nearly half (46%) of the women surveyed said the decision was up to them rather than their partners."</i><br /><br />Wow, big shocker there! I heard no objections when I bought the 65" set for our house.

Gordo
12-23-2005, 07:06 PM
My wife objected the 50" purchase until she watched HDTV in our house.

Then I beacame a Hero!
:)

mcsouth
12-24-2005, 01:41 AM
My wife and I have been talking about upgrading our TV to a flatpanel HDTV in our living room, where we do most of our movie &amp; TV watching. We currently have a conventional TV with 27" diagonal viewing area (well, I think it was called a 29" TV when we bought it - obviously, there's about a 1" bezel around the whole thing....).

Anyways, our living room is about 16 feet from the couch to the wall where I would mount the new TV, so we have been figuring on a 42" to 50" widescreen plasma or LCD - neither of us want to have the set dominate the room, so the 50+" sets aren't on our list at all.

I am looking forward to a big screen, but I'm not wanting a setup like my friend has - a 60" TV (rear projection - not HDTV) with the couch about 8 feet away - that's just too much for my eyes.

Gordo
12-24-2005, 01:49 AM
I would recommend going 50+.

I was surprised that the literature from the Hitachi TV I have indicated that you could view HDTV on my set as close as 6ft. My current setup has the 50 inch 8ft away. I don't watch much regular TV anymore, but the non-high def channels are a little fuzzy at the 50 inch size. If its not high def, I just don't watch it!

I would like to see an option to make the image a smaller percentage of the total(i.e. 75%), rather than the full screen.

Chris Gohlke
12-24-2005, 03:53 AM
We sit about 8 feet off of our 65". Honestly, I could envision an even bigger set without a problem

sojourner753
12-25-2005, 02:34 AM
We sit about 8 feet off of our 65". Honestly, I could envision an even bigger set without a problem

I can only imagine watching an IMax film on that one. You should check out Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag.

There's a WMV HD file on one of the DVDs.

Sitting so close, you'd probably get total immersion. Keep barf bags close. :D