View Full Version : TV Execs Want TiVo to Wait and Wait and...

Suhit Gupta
12-02-2005, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000917069409/' target='_blank'>http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000917069409/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"TiVo's plan to allow users to download TV shows and films to Apple's iPod and Sony's PlayStation Portable (PSP) could strain relations with networks and studios hoping to develop revenue streams from digital distribution... TiVo appears to be acting unilaterally, disregarding established rights of content owners to participate in decisions regarding the distribution and exploitation of their content,” an NBC Universal spokesman said. “This unilateral action creates the risk of legal conflict instead of contributing to the constructive exploitation of digital technology that can rapidly provide new and exciting experiences for the consumer"</i><br /><br />While the debate is going on here on a much larger scale, I realized that I can barely decide which side I support myself. On the one side, TiVo doing this is a great service. On the other hand, I do see how this move will diminish and dilute the efforts by big networks on on-demand initiatives on the Internet and through cable and satcasters. TiVo's service may diminish the appeal of these offers, as well as cut into the DVD business, which has been supported over the past few years by the release of popular TV shows. What do you guys think - who do you support here?

PJE
12-02-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm sorry for the TV companies, but if I can record the show directly to a DVD Recorder, or to a VHS recorder, then why can't I download the show from the TiVo and archive it/watch it somewhere else. It's the same with music, I'm all for cutting down on piracy, but there needs to be a regard for fair use of the material.

I pay over $100 per month to the cable company, and see no reason why I can't easily take content off my TiVo (other than it being painfully slow over 802.11b). I also have a Philips hard drive/DVD burner which can create DVDs from TV content very easily. So why not go after all video recodring devices - oh yes everyone would stop watching TV as they'd have to be in the room at the right time. The TV companies, as much as they'd like to, can't turn the clock back to 1970.

My 2c