View Full Version : Apple's Mac Mini DVR?

Jason Dunn
11-30-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/012189.html' target='_blank'>http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/012189.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I've been thinking more about Apple introducing a Mac mini with a DVR and the more I think about it, the more interesting the implications become. First, this would be a big turn around for Apple that's argued long against integrating TV functionality into a PC (of course, Apple will point out exactly why things are different now should they introduce this)but that's only part of the story. Steve Jobs will likely do what Microsoft could not and that's make the press believe. The enthusiasts will follow. A mini with this capability could easily become a core part of the digital hub over time. Think enthusiast market first. Then think what happens when this supports HD with an integrated cable card. The PC is already a repository for music and photos. This could help move the transition to both home made video content as well as commercial stuff. iTunes is already doing well on music. Now add in episodic TV shows and movies. With integrated iPod support, Apple only boosts that device as the de-facto standard for mobile entertainment."</i><br /><br />Think Apple can pull something like this off? I don't think they can, despite the whooshing of air as all the fanboys bow at the altar of this idea.

Macguy59
12-01-2005, 01:03 AM
No worse than the fan boys on this site pimping everything M$ does as the next pet rock. Why must you persist in getting in digs at Apple or the people that use their products?

Felix Torres
12-01-2005, 01:34 AM
No worse than the fan boys on this site pimping everything M$ does as the next pet rock. Why must you persist in getting in digs at Apple or the people that use their products?

A belief in universal balance? ;-)

Jason Eaton
12-01-2005, 01:57 AM
First I would say, because it his website. Second I would say... I don't think he is really trying to say anything like that. I don't want to put words in the guys mouth so I will let him do his own talking. :D

I guess from my own opinion I would have to ask how are you looking at this. Can Apple somehow convert the Mac mini to do this? Not really, the hardware isn't up to task in its current state.

Could Apple do this with new components in an mini like form factor? Sure... but then it would be something entirely different then a mini and the price would go up as they update the small form factor parts.

Could Apple leverage some of its branding to get a leg up. Yeah, probably, and the 'hip' factor that tivo and MS are missing might bring some new eyes to the table, but is anything else ready to support it that doesn't already exsist today?.

Coming down to it, throw in any dark horse name subsitute for Apple and not change anything else in the article and most of the above still applies.

I guess the off focus topic really is, who can dig out the old entrenched companies already in your living room (cable, networks, movie houses)? We all like a good David versus Goliath battle but Goliath's infrastructure is currently resistant to meer slings and stones.

Apple may create a digital hub for the living room, like MS already has... but in all honesty, are the masses that make up the digital tide even paying attention? No the stigma of a personal computer and all the quirks that it brings is not equal to an appliance that just works.

Now if you don't mind, I am off to the living room. Though I haven't decided if I want to listen to music, get a streaming movie, or watch my already recorded tv shows on the dvr tonight. But do let me know when the next company 'David' comes along and claims that he can provide me with the things I am missing. :wink:

Felix Torres
12-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Think Apple can pull something like this off? I don't think they can, despite the whooshing of air as all the fanboys bow at the altar of this idea.

Actually, they could.
Think about it:

Apple is moving to Intel hardware, no?
So they can piggyback on the ViiV platform that MS/Intel have already defined and they get a free ride on all the effort MS has put into getting cablecard tuners certified for PCs and on Promoting the development of HDCP-equipped video cards and displays, to say nothing of the effort HP and Dell have put in within the BluRay steering group to make sure BluRay is PC friendly.

And as for software, they could license from Snapstream or any of a half dozen others or lift some of the Linux HTPC software, much as they did for Safari, and hide it behind the Front Row shell. A weekend worth of coding at most. ;-)

Nothing to it. :D

No need to invent anything new, or createcanything others haven't done before; just repackage stuff and hold a press conference next january. The market is still young enough that a fashionably-late player could get lots of media attention with minimal effort and it would help justify the move to Intel hardware on the desktop.

So, yes, I think it is doable.

Now, if you want to know if it is *likely* to happen, I'll simply say it is a bit less likely than MS producing a PVR side-car add-on for XBOX360, which is something that has at least been publicly discussed (and not ruled out) by Balmer.

Or to put it another way:
Speculation costs nothing and can be a fun way to while away idle minutes while waiting for the Bus...
...or CES '06... ;-)

G'night!

Phronetix
12-01-2005, 04:47 PM

I agree that Jason takes some liberties upon Macfans, sometimes unjustified in MY opinion. You know what, though, he takes pot shots at microsoft too, along with other companies - where he sees fit. I think the man just speaks his mind. Makes for a great site, don't you think?

Felix Torres
12-01-2005, 08:05 PM
I agree that Jason takes some liberties upon Macfans, sometimes unjustified in MY opinion. You know what, though, he takes pot shots at microsoft too, along with other companies - where he sees fit. I think the man just speaks his mind. Makes for a great site, don't you think?

It works for Howard Stern! ;-)

Jason Dunn
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM

Perhaps I should have been more clear (I posted in a rush): I don't believe the Mac Mini will be the vehicle for Apple to win the living rooms of the world. It was ridiculous the way Mini fans were desperately trying to hack the Mini into something that worked in their TV room, when you KNOW it just wasn't designed for that. I'm not saying Apple will never win the TV room, but the Mini is a very poor vehicle for doing it. I think they'll come up with something else entirely when (not if) they make this play. Microsoft is just SO far ahead of Apple in this area it's not even funny.

Macguy59
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Perhaps I should have been more clear (I posted in a rush): I don't believe the Mac Mini will be the vehicle for Apple to win the living rooms of the world. It was ridiculous the way Mini fans were desperately trying to hack the Mini into something that worked in their TV room, when you KNOW it just wasn't designed for that. I'm not saying Apple will never win the TV room, but the Mini is a very poor vehicle for doing it. I think they'll come up with something else entirely when (not if) they make this play. Microsoft is just SO far ahead of Apple in this area it's not even funny.

That response I can live with and for the most part I agree. The mini in a slighty larger form factor (to accomodate 3.5" drive) with Intel inside could be similar in function to an MPC. Once the cable card issue is resolved I could see myself buying either solution.