View Full Version : VOD Still Can't Get Out of Starting Gate

James Fee
11-27-2005, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-11-25T175330Z_01_KNE562433_RTRUKOC_0_US-TELECOMS-FRANCE-VIDEOONDEMAND.xml' target='_blank'>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-11-25T175330Z_01_KNE562433_RTRUKOC_0_US-TELECOMS-FRANCE-VIDEOONDEMAND.xml</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Everyone agrees video on demand over the Internet should be a goldmine for telecoms and media firms, but the two converging industries have yet to figure out how both can make money, a conference in France heard this week. Video on demand -- the ability to download a movie or TV program via high-speed Internet -- is expected to take off in Europe as broadband, already piped to 10.5 percent of households, attracts enough users to merit investing in the service. But how quickly video-on-demand becomes available is uncertain, as telecoms operators and media companies haggle over how to slice up the revenue pie."</i><br /><br />I'm so tired of hearing about VOD. Seems like since the late 1980s we've been hearing about how it will become the distribution method of choice. As usual the industries involved just can't seem to get it figured out. I think given how people have flocked to a horrible video distribution system such as iTunes, you'd think the industry would use that as a wakeup call that people really want to pay to download video when they want to watch it. I suspect even in 10 years we'll still not be close to what was promised in 15 years ago.

Macguy59
11-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Keeping in mind what it's intended for what makes iTunes a 'horrible' distribution system?

Felix Torres
11-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Keeping in mind what it's intended for what makes iTunes a 'horrible' distribution system?

For video?
How about the focus on downloading the full file?
This works for VHS resolution files or even short SD files (music videos, trailers, etc) but for movies or HD content its not workable.
True VOD either needs outrageous bandwidth (Internet2-levels) or video streaming+caching.
If you wanted to deliver HD content using current broadband speeds and the iTunes model/file formats, it would take hours before you can start watching.
Hardly on-demand.
iTunes isn't alone in this, but the one you asked about... :wink:

Macguy59
11-27-2005, 10:43 PM
How about the focus on downloading the full file?
This works for VHS resolution files or even short SD files (music videos, trailers, etc) but for movies or HD content its not workable.

Hence my 'intended for' preface. I think Apple understands the bandwidth limitations.

***excessive quoting deleted by moderator JD***

Jeremy Charette
11-28-2005, 05:00 AM
The problem is the business model. It just doesn't work for VOD. It doesn't even work for Tivo. The major broadcasters are afraid to push such a paradigm shift to the masses because they don't know if they'll be able to sustain current revenue and profit levels.

jeffd
11-29-2005, 08:57 AM
I could care less for monthly payment models. I just want to a) purchase said video content in High quality like dvd. I would even download the dvd files if it was something like TV shows that arnt or would not normaly be on dvd. 2) easily and by my own means beable to load said video content on platforms of my choice. game systems, pocket PCs, portable video players, Tivo systems, what ever.

Jason Dunn
11-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah, VOD has been all hype and no jump for years. Hell, my local cable provider even BROKE VOD for me! I bought their HD tuner/PVR box, and it's not compatible with their VOD system, so while I have HD, I do miss the VOD (although I confess I didn't use it more than once every few months).