View Full Version : Xbox 360 Core: They Should Have Called it the "Screwed" Edition

Jason Dunn
11-22-2005, 10:00 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I struck out on getting an Xbox Premium bundle and was forced to get an Xbox 360 Core edition or nothing at all. I opted for the Core, but am quickly getting frustrated at how expensive it will be to get what I need. Let's go over the list of the things that the Core system needs in order to bring it to parity with the Premium bundle:<br /><br />Universal Remote: $39.99<br />Wireless Controller: $59.99<br />Component video cables: $49.99<br />Hard drive: $129.99<br />Wired Headset: $39.99<br />Ethernet cable: $10 (any type can be used)<br /><br />That's a total of $329.95 above and beyond the price of the $399 Core system, making it $229.95 more expensive than getting the Premium system. One could argue that the $229.95 gives you two controllers instead of one and there's some value in that, but I have no interest in using wired controllers so for me the gain is nil.<br /><br />The single worst effect of Microsoft releasing the Core bundle is that most vendors seem to have opted to order less of the more expensive Premium bundles and more of the cheaper Core bundles, in the very mistaken belief that they'll sell more of the less expensive version. Microsoft should not have given the clueless idiots in the product ordering departments the opportunity to make that mistake. I spoke to perhaps 30 other customers today in various stores, and every single one of them wanted to get the Premium bundle. Those that were only given the option to buy the Core system were resentful at having to spend the extra money to bring it up to parity with the Premium bundle. Microsoft, you should have known better.

boeman
11-22-2005, 10:10 PM
I think it was on purpose... look at all the extra cash both the retailers and Microsoft will make, they know people won't wait for the premium bundle.

I'm sure the "core" system will end up going away some time early next year... not long before the PS3 is released.

cmorris
11-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Let's face it, the "Core" system is meant for people who (a) don't have HDTV, (b) don't plan to go online, (c) don't care about Media Center functionality, and (d) don't care about backwards compatability/Live Arcade.

This seems like not many people but remember that only 10% of Xbox 1 users were online.

I doubt the Core system will go away when PS3 arrives. It will just get priced even lower. That way they could have something at half the price of PS3 (i.e. if they cut it to $199) at launch. Likely the PS3 won't have a hard drive in the box too.

Tim Williamson
11-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Guess I'm glad I don't have the money to spend on a system at the moment. I guess I could pay $1000+ on eBay... (http://product.ebay.com/Microsoft-Xbox-360-Game-console_W0QQfvcsZ1452QQsoprZ46859558)8O

Outlaw94
11-22-2005, 10:29 PM
I reserved mine from EB Games south of Columbus, Ohio, toward the end of JUNE. But guess what! I'm not on the first shipment! :evil:

How early did you have to reserve the damn thing?

First I was told I would be first shipment. Then two weeks ago they call and say MS cut the initial shipment and I'm bumped to the next shipment. Now they tell me that could be after the New Year. :!:

What the hell is MS thinking? What a bunch of idiots :!:

edbott
11-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Let's face it, the "Core" system is meant for people who (a) don't have HDTV, (b) don't plan to go online, (c) don't care about Media Center functionality, and (d) don't care about backwards compatability/Live Arcade.

Really? I was thinking of getting the Core system solely for its Media Center functionality and HDTV compatibility, because I don't play games. All I need is the $20 High Definition AV Pack, a set of component video cables, and an optical audio cable.

What am I missing?

Felix Torres
11-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Really? I was thinking of getting the Core system solely for its Media Center functionality and HDTV compatibility, because I don't play games. All I need is the $20 High Definition AV Pack, a set of component video cables, and an optical audio cable.

What am I missing?

The hard drive, where you could hold a couple hundred cds worth of music, among other things.

The Core system exists so MS can advertize the XBOX at US$299-and-up and so not scare off parents. :)

A bit of math (in US$):
XBOX360 core - $299
HD cable - $30 (different from old XBOX AV pack so no component cables are needed, only the optical cable)
Remote control - $30
Total: $360 :twisted:

or,

XBOX360 Premiere - $399
Includes: HD cable, 20Gb HDD, Remote Control, headset, and Wireless controller. Even if you don't care about the wireless controller and headset(I don't) you're still getting the hard drive for $40.

Theoretically, you could buy the Harmony remote instead of the MS remote and be at $430 and still have a functional media extender and offline console, but if you're getting the MS remote the Premiere package makes more sense, no?

So you *can* build the system you want that way but it may not quite make sense to go that way, especially if MS really starts offering media content (movies, music, etc) over XBOX LIVE.

edbott
11-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Do I really need the remote? I have three Media Center remotes (main PC and two extenders). My understanding is they will work. So I need the proprietary cable to connect the 360 to the component video inputs. But all my music is on the Media Center PC, so the hard drive seems irrelevant.

Felix Torres
11-23-2005, 02:26 AM
The single worst effect of Microsoft releasing the Core bundle is that most vendors seem to have opted to order less of the more expensive Premium bundles and more of the cheaper Core bundles, in the very mistaken belief that they'll sell more of the less expensive version.

Really?
MS made it clear they expected a 75-25 split, favoring the Premiere package.

At the local CompUSA, the split was 11-4.
A year from now, the core could sell for $199 or even $149, keeping the non-HD Nintendo at bay, while the drive-equipped model undercuts even a non-drive PS3...

The dual sku strategy serves a purpose, but it is up to retailers to know their customers.

Felix Torres
11-23-2005, 02:31 AM
Do I really need the remote? I have three Media Center remotes (main PC and two extenders). My understanding is they will work. So I need the proprietary cable to connect the 360 to the component video inputs. But all my music is on the Media Center PC, so the hard drive seems irrelevant.

Okay, that should work if you really want to go lowball or want to wait for the bigger HDD next year. In other words, no, you haven't missed anything and yes, you can get an HD MCE extended with local DVD playback for $330.

Considering the first-gen extenders run $300 that looks good even if you never play a game on it.

edbott
11-23-2005, 02:35 AM
Lowball is good!

Thanks for the info, Felix. We'll see how many months it takes before I actually get one of these Xbox thingies. 8O

Jason Dunn
11-23-2005, 03:04 AM

I just tested my MCE remote and it worked great, but here's one thing you may want the hard drive for: without the hard drive, the MCE remote software has to download from the host PC every time you fire it up, which means a delay of 5 to 8 seconds. For me, that's reason enough to get the Premium bundle with the hard drive. ;-)

Jason Dunn
11-23-2005, 03:08 AM
Really? MS made it clear they expected a 75-25 split, favoring the Premiere package. At the local CompUSA, the split was 11-4...The dual sku strategy serves a purpose, but it is up to retailers to know their customers.

I can only report what I saw: that every person I talked to wanted the premium bundle, and at a couple of the stores I was at there were Core units still for sale, but ZERO premium bundles at any of the five stores I tried. I think it's likely ignorance fuelling the purchase of the cores - when they realize they need the hard drive to play Xbox Gen 1 games, they'll realize they should have gotten the premium. It will be interesting what numbers will be after a few weeks, though someone like myself skewed them because I wanted a premium but had to settle for Core. I really do think that for the vast majority of people that are leading-edge console buyers, when you're spending $300, another $100 isn't a big deal if you get way more functionality.

edbott
11-23-2005, 03:10 AM
I just tested my MCE remote and it worked great, but here's one thing you may want the hard drive for: without the hard drive, the MCE remote software has to download from the host PC every time you fire it up, which means a delay of 5 to 8 seconds. For me, that's reason enough to get the Premium bundle with the hard drive. ;-)

If it's only at startup, the brief delay is no big deal.

Felix Torres
11-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Lowball is good!

Thanks for the info, Felix. We'll see how many months it takes before I actually get one of these Xbox thingies. 8O

Personally, I'm betting on less than 0.75 months before I walk into Best Buy or Target and pick one up off the shelf. :)

Felix Torres
11-23-2005, 05:37 AM
I really do think that for the vast majority of people that are leading-edge console buyers, when you're spending $300, another $100 isn't a big deal if you get way more functionality.

Oh, no question that is the case.

But it is also true that MS wants to draw in non-leading-edge buyers; the type of mainstream gamer that *doesn't* have an XBOX or a home network and buys a couple games a year and relies on rentals and swapping to keep the kids occupied. And who might *later* want to expand into the media features...
In other words: Nintendo and Sony customers.
:wink:

Gary Sheynkman
11-23-2005, 06:12 AM
oh yeah....well my PS3 that I will eventually pre order has 300000 more teraflops and way cooler controlers!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry guys, the 360 vs. PS3 debate is just too much for me to handle at my tender age :lol:

jeffd
11-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Theres no reason to buy an xbox now.. should have waited. ^^

Jason Dunn
11-23-2005, 07:55 AM
But it is also true that MS wants to draw in non-leading-edge buyers; the type of mainstream gamer that *doesn't* have an XBOX or a home network and buys a couple games a year

I hear you, but I think it would have made more sense to launch the Core system early next year then to avoid all this Core vs. Premium nonsense. I predict many disappointed young tikes when the want to play their old Xbox games and mom bought the wrong one. There just wasn't enough consumer education about the differences.

But mostly I'm just ticked off that I didn't get the bundle I wanted. :-p

Jason Dunn
11-23-2005, 08:07 AM

Huh? Care to make some sense? ;-)

Felix Torres
11-23-2005, 02:32 PM

Can't be the "first kid on the block" if you wait. :twisted:

Deemo
11-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Don't worry Jason.....maybe we can have the PPC User Group meeting at my place and you can use the Premium Bundle I preordered from Futureshop 8)

My last ever dealing with Compusmart was refusing to price match an HP laptop that was carried by BestBuy but not in stock in Calgary but was in stock in Red Deer.

Warned the manager that if he wouldn't come down I would drive to Red Deer and never go to Compusmart again.

I did eventually drive to Red Deer.....got my laptop.....and never been back to Compusmart (stupid) since. :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
11-23-2005, 08:11 PM

Hey, as ever, Jason leads the way. If you can't be bleeding edge with tech toys on this site, then where can you be? :wink:

Personally I prefer cutting edge, or more usually leading edge, but we need the early adaptors to kick the tires, iron out the kinks etc and let us know if something is worth getting and how to optimise it. A very much appreciated service!

Jason Dunn
11-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Don't worry Jason.....maybe we can have the PPC User Group meeting at my place and you can use the Premium Bundle I preordered from Futureshop 8)

I really dislike Compusmart as well, but they were the only ones I could get a pre-order unit from...I could never get in on the 10 per day that Future Shop was putting up on their Web site. :?

jeffd
11-23-2005, 08:43 PM
well for starters, theres not much on the xbox 360 that you can't find else where atm. NFSMW, Call 2, its just the same as playing on a high end pc. The games worth getting a 360 for wont be out till probably after christmas.

Bleeding edge? sure.. as bleeding edge as the saturn was when it came out.. didn't make me want to buy it the first 6 months it was out either due to lack of a system selling game. ^^

Besides, theres "being first" and then theres "throwing away as much money as it takes to be first".. the two not being equil. ;) I would have admited defeat if I wasn't able to score the premium. Especialy since the money I saved from buying all the accessoried for the core could have been used to buy a really nice video card so I could PLAY games that look as good as the 360.. while waiting to buy the 360. ;)

Deemo
11-23-2005, 08:46 PM
I really dislike Compusmart as well, but they were the only ones I could get a pre-order unit from...I could never get in on the 10 per day that Future Shop was putting up on their Web site. :?

Gotta hang out on redflagdeals.com.....those boys posted everytime it was up on the site....but you still had to act fast.

ADBrown
11-23-2005, 10:26 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I struck out on getting an Xbox Premium bundle and was forced to get an Xbox 360 Core edition

All right. Jason, I usually have positive thoughts towards you, but right now I must ask whether you've lost your fracking mind, along with millions of other people. Why on Earth would you pay such ridiculously inflated prices for a toy?

Jason Dunn
11-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Why on Earth would you pay such ridiculously inflated prices for a toy?

Why do geeks by ANY technology? It's cool, it does some amazing things, and it will bring me enjoyment. Do I need more of a reason than that? If you think it's just a gaming console you don't know much about it...

ADBrown
11-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Why do geeks by ANY technology? It's cool, it does some amazing things, and it will bring me enjoyment. Do I need more of a reason than that? If you think it's just a gaming console you don't know much about it...

Maybe I don't. Still, it just seems to me kind of like an iPod--an overpriced, over hyped device of minor interest that everyone has to have because it's the thing-de-jour.

Jason Dunn
11-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Maybe I don't. Still, it just seems to me kind of like an iPod--an overpriced, over hyped device of minor interest that everyone has to have because it's the thing-de-jour.

Nope, it's much more than that. I tend not to buy into hype, and in this case the Xbox 360 is a very practical means of doing what I was already doing. The Media Center Extender experience is *much* better than my 1st gen Xbox, and for that alone it's worth the price. I also enjoy gaming, and it's fantastic for that as well...so for me, it's a very logical purchase, even if you can't see that. ;-)