View Full Version : The Toolbar Wars: Enough Already!

Jason Dunn
11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Yesterday I was downloading the latest software patches from Nero (http://www.nero.com/nero6/enu/nero-up.php) for v.6.5 (65 MB in total - yikes!) and was dismayed at what I saw: by default, they're bundling the software patches with the Yahoo toolbar. Excuse me? Since when did bug-fixing software patches become a vehicle for distributing a product from a different company? I've complained about this issue before when DivX was bundling the Google toolbar (http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8024) with their free codec and player, but that's more understandable because it's a free download and there's logic in subsidizing it with a toolbar. In the case of these Nero patches, they're for Nero customers that have already purchased the software, so the revenue model should already be in place.

It's easy enough to get the non-Yahoo toolbar versions of the patches (you un-check a box), but it strikes me as slightly unethical that Nero would chose to derive profit from distributing bug fixes. It's a disturbing first step that makes me wonder what Yahoo, MSN, and Google will try next in their desire to have every browser in the planet running their toolbar.

brianchris
11-16-2005, 08:23 PM
I couldn't agree more....shame on these types of tatics.....borders on spyware, adaware, etc.......but I guess that tiny checkbox saves them.

Slightly OT, I'm curious Jason why you are not using the new Nero 7? Any particular reason?

EscapePod
11-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Those bastiches over at Adobe (Acrobat Reader) bundle the Yahoo bar with their updates, too. I sure wish MS Reader would have become the defacto standard.

encece
11-17-2005, 12:49 AM
I get equally as upset when I find AOL trying to install on my PC when installing something.

Darius Wey
11-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Yeah, this is a cruel tactic being implemented by many companies. I'm now seeing more and more installers package a toolbar of some sort. $$$ is all that really matters to them these days. :roll:

Jason Dunn
11-17-2005, 05:16 AM
Slightly OT, I'm curious Jason why you are not using the new Nero 7? Any particular reason?

Well, #1, I didn't buy it. Nero also didn't send me a free copy either. ;-) I'm starting to prefer Roxio now anyway...

jeffd
11-17-2005, 05:32 AM
from what I remember, the nero "patchs" you download is simply the latest demo version (wich is a serial number away from a registered/store baught version) that detects you have had a previouse installation and offers to upgrade instead of install.

Jason Dunn
11-17-2005, 07:37 AM
from what I remember, the nero "patchs" you download is simply the latest demo version (wich is a serial number away from a registered/store baught version) that detects you have had a previouse installation and offers to upgrade instead of install.

Seriously? What a bloated way of giving our customer upgrades. :roll:

pacemkr
11-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Does anyone actually use these toolbars?
I personally find them completely useles. What do they have to offer?

Search? Don't make me laugh, I am not going to sacrifice that much screen real estate to have a serchbox available at all times.

Page rank? Why would I want to know that again?

SHOPPING!!! Oh yeah! If I only had a bunch of advertisement links available at a click of a button... ah the possibilities.

Highlight words? Nice idea but uterly useless, Ctrl + F in IE or just start typing in Mozilla. Hey it even scrolls to the word for you.

Even if some functions are remotely usefull, how often are you going to use them to keep them on your screen ALL the time when you browse. I consider these toolbars nothing less than spyware.

EDIT: And might I add, that I can't possible take a company seriously if installing their commercial product I see a toolbar offered, especially if its installed by default, that annoys the crap out of me and all such products have one destination, the trash bin. Don't they care about the image their company is projecting?

ctmagnus
11-24-2005, 05:16 AM
Don't they care about the image their company is projecting?

I'm sure they do. It's just that you're not their average customer. ;)

Their average customer gets their computer news via the evening news.

Speaking of which, I have yet to hear a thing about the Sorny debacle on TV.