View Full Version : Canon S2 IS reviews?

mrozema
11-15-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey all,
I'm looking at the Canon S2 IS to possibly replace my Powershot S30.
Does anybody have good OR bad things to say about this camera? Also, has anybody read any good reviews about it?
Thanks!

Lee Yuan Sheng
11-16-2005, 05:07 PM
DPReview, Imaging Resource and DCResource have reviewed it, I think. Overall if you don't mind using such a camera I don't think you can go wrong with it.

Chris Gohlke
11-18-2005, 04:40 PM
You might want to check out my thread here - http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9262&highlight=canon+powershot

It appears we are both in the same situation.

I found the review at dpreview very helpful.

mrozema
11-29-2005, 01:49 AM
You might want to check out my thread here - http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9262&highlight=canon+powershot

It appears we are both in the same situation.

I found the review at dpreview very helpful.
That's funny. I too currently own the Powershot S30 :D
The camera seems very much worth it, given the price to number of useful features ratio.

DPReview, Imaging Resource and DCResource have reviewed it, I think. Overall if you don't mind using such a camera I don't think you can go wrong with it.
Please elaborate on "if you don't mind using such a camera".

Lee Yuan Sheng
11-29-2005, 05:04 AM
Well, basically, some find such a camera too big (they'd be better off with something smaller), or too complicated (too many functions), too unfriendly (too many nested menus), or just not powerful enough (better get a DSLR). So if a non-compact small camera with manual functions and a huge zoom that has slightly less depth in use compared to a DSLR is what you're looking for, the S2 is something that you can't really go wrong with.

mrozema
11-30-2005, 01:40 AM
That's good, because that all pretty well fits my needs. I can't afford a true DSLR and I don't want a super compact little camera with no features. I need the manual features and the huge optics are of great value to me. I also happen to be quite loyal to Canon's camera products.
I guess this will probably be the way to go. :D