View Full Version : "I Bought A Creative Zen Micro After Evaluating the Apple iPod Nano Closely"

Chris Gohlke
11-15-2005, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blog.retrosight.com/PermaLink,guid,86297bd6-3742-44be-b66a-a7ce0f10f34d.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blog.retrosight.com/PermaLink,guid,86297bd6-3742-44be-b66a-a7ce0f10f34d.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I've had a 256 MB Creative Muvo TX FM for a while now, and really love the tiny size and features of the device. As my first portable music device since a Sony Discman, it rocked -- but it was time to graduate to something with a bit more storage space, especially given the six cross country flights I'm taking between now and the new year. So, I went down to my local Best Buy to check out some portable devices with more storage space. After looking at all of the choices, I narrowed it down to the Creative Zen Micro and Apple iPod Nano. Seriously, I had been leaning towards an iPod after talking with Michael and Matt, two Microsoft Media Center employees who own iPods."</i><br /><br />While not exactly an apples to apples comparison (no pun intended) since one is flash based on one is micro drive based, this is still a nice look at the two from the consumer perspective. I have two non-iPod MP3 players that I choose over their direct Apple competitors. I use a Muvo for my small flash player for outdoor activities and an iRiver as my mega-jukebox. While the Apple products are cool, I think there is more bang for the buck with other players.

Phronetix
11-15-2005, 06:21 AM
Pretty fair comparison. The only part that has me puzzles is that the nano can in fact be used as a drive as well, but the writer specifically points out that he made his decision to choose the Zen micro based on this ability.
:?

The issue with album art is an easily fixable one, with a bit of leg work and one of the album art fetching apps. I assume there are ones that work in Windows as well when I say that.

The only thing that I don't have a counter-point for is the WMA issue. If I had ripped my entire cd collection into WMA, I wouldn't be using an iPod either. Perhaps if WMA hits that 25% market share (or was it 50%) number that Steve Jobs promised, the iPod will include WMA support. I wonder if there would be any advantage to doing this sooner rather than later, from a business standpoint. Time will tell.

Jeremy Charette
11-15-2005, 02:17 PM
I have to disagree with the author here.

First, third-party tools are NOT required to convert WMAs to AAC or MP3 files in iTunes. When you initially install the software, or "add" a folder to your iTunes music collection, it asks if you want to convert WMA files and add them to your iTunes music collection. By going into the preferences menu, you can specify MP3 or AAC conversion, and at what bit rate. Caveat: it will not convert most protected WMA files (such as those purchased online through Napster). It doesn't take that long, about 30-40 seconds per song, and it didn't slow down my laptop noticeably while it was doing the conversion.

Second, price per megabyte is a terrible way to make an Digital Audio Player buying decision. You may get more storage for less money with a non-Apple DAP, but you don't get Apple's easy to use interface. If you ask me, it's well worth the extra money. I used to be pro-Rio and Pro-Creative, even had a Rio Eigen and recommended a Rio Carbon to my fiance, which she had no problems with until she dropped it and the volume wheel snapped off. That said, she just recently purchased an iPod Nano, and I'm a convert. The interface is slick, clean, fast, and easy to navigate. The display is the best I've seen on a flash-based player, and it's the most "pocketable" player on the market (in my opinion).

Consumers don't buy BMWs and Mercedes-Benz's because they're the best bang for the buck when it comes to getting from Point A to Point B. A Ford Focus does the job just as well. But if it's high quality and top-notch design you're looking for, they're worth every penny.

kiwi
11-15-2005, 02:44 PM
:
&lt;snip>
:
Consumers don't buy BMWs and Mercedes-Benz's because they're the best bang for the buck when it comes to getting from Point A to Point B. A Ford Focus does the job just as well. But if it's high quality and top-notch design you're looking for, they're worth every penny.

I would have to agree here. I was in BestBuy last night. People wear swarming around the Ipod section.. not one soul was looking at the other MP3 lines, which I think seem to have reduced in size. I remember last christmas there was a frenzy of activity with flash based players. I was even considering a MPIO at that stage.. until the shuffle showed up ;-)

I just picked up a deal on an apple Ipod - U2 Edition with colour screen. Wow ! Nice implementation and yes, its very easy to use. Thats why its become a great seller.

Jeremy Charette
11-15-2005, 03:09 PM
I've noticed that people that are vehemently anti-iPod haven't used one for an extended period of time (say a few weeks or months). Once you have, it's hard to go back to anything else, honestly. Once the music starts playing, you quickly forget about any shortcomings the iPod may have such as lack of FM tuner or WMA/OGG/FLAC support.

kiwi
11-15-2005, 03:31 PM
On one trip to BestBuy I went and tried to use the Toshiba, The Olympus &amp; the Creatve offerings obviously without reading the manuals. It was qute hard to operate some of these devices as the menus seems unintuitive. Button placement was interesting as well. Its quite easy to use the Apple devices.. every morning I watch the growing "ipod army" on the subway to work. Lots of white headphones with hands in pockets/handbags controlling their listening one handed, without having to look.

Jason Dunn
11-15-2005, 05:49 PM
I've noticed that people that are vehemently anti-iPod haven't used one for an extended period of time (say a few weeks or months).

Well, yeah, that's generally how it works. ;-) If someone doesn't like something (for whatever reason) odds are they're not going to drop $300 on it just to see what it's like. And Apple is notoriously stingy with hardware for reviewers, so it's not like I can even get one to try out.

Once the music starts playing, you quickly forget about any shortcomings the iPod may have such as lack of FM tuner or WMA/OGG/FLAC support.

Not if it can't play your music to begin with. ;-) I rip in 256 kbps MP3 now, but for a long time I was ripping in WMA, so I can likely never get an iPod for that one reason. So the lack of WMA support is a big show-stopper for anyone like me and not so easy to blow off.

Based on my limited experience with iPods, they're solid audio players, but I also find my Zen Micro to be quite good as well. I think one of the biggest turn-offs for me is the snotty attitudes of some iPod owners that "there is one player and no other" - same thing that keeps me from dipping my toe in the Mac waters...I don't want to contribute to that type of elite attitude.

kiwi
11-15-2005, 06:42 PM
I was having a chat today to someone and mentioned how the other players have far better features than the iPod.. ie. FM tuner etc.. BUT the ipod has the Third Party accessories market now helping it along a lot. We forget that this along with marketing is big with consumers.
Almost like "palm pilots" ;) Its also how they are promoted at the Big Box Shops too.. just like the PPCs and Palms..

Although I have become an iPod FanBoy, I am quite aware how they are screwing us all the time.. lack releasing firmware updates for older users etc. My guess there will be another upgrade come April 2006

Oh, I saw the real live XBOX 360 last night at Bestbuy - nice machine!!!
:drool:

and i'm a PS2 Fanboy as well.. ;)

B

Jason Dunn
11-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Although I have become an iPod FanBoy, I am quite aware how they are screwing us all the time.. lack releasing firmware updates for older users etc. My guess there will be another upgrade come April 2006 Oh, I saw the real live XBOX 360 last night at Bestbuy - nice machine!

Another reason why I don't want to support the iPod machine: rumour has it that Apple will release a firmware update for iPods that will stop them from working with the Xbox 360. :roll: When it comes to the iPod market, Apple is an evil protectionist empire, and I'll be damned if I'll give them a penny of my money. :evil:

Jason Dunn
11-15-2005, 07:19 PM
BUT the ipod has the Third Party accessories market now helping it along a lot. We forget that this along with marketing is big with consumers.

Absolutely, there's no denying that. And having lots of cool accessories makes the iPod an even more attractive player.

Jeremy Charette
11-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Kiwi: Good point, I was going to say the same thing. The sheer number of accessories for the iPod is mind boggling, and makes it more attractive still.

Jason: Six months ago, I was just like you man! I despised the iPod for it's ubiquitousness (is that a word?). It was obnoxious. Everyone has one. I even told my future Father in law to buy her a Rio Carbon for Xmas last year. After she dropped it and snapped off the volume wheel (a common failure and a huge design flaw if you ask me), I let her borrow my Rio Eigen. Two days later, she got the click of death. So the hunt was on for a flash based player with at least a GB of storage. I kept shying away from the iPods, then the Nano came out. She bought one and hasn't looked back since. She has few complaints (and neither do I). Most of them center around iTunes, which isn't nearly as intuitive as the iPod. (Frankly, I think WMP is marginally better.)

Converting all your WMAs seems like a pain, and initially it is. But once all your music is converted and your library consolidated (from a few minutes to a few hours), you forget all about that first day of CPU torture. I've converted 128-256 kbps WMAs to 128 MP3s and don't notice a difference distinct enough to hear on a portable DAP like the iPod. The home theater system is a different story, but that's true of any bit rate or compression format.

Of course if I had my druthers I would have originally ripped all my music in lossless compression AND 128 kbps MP3 (or some other universally compatible format), but hindsight is 20/20.

Trust me Jason, if you're even slightly considering it, make the switch. I hate to sound like a Convert, but honestly, no other interface or device design comes close to Apple's. I was the last person in the world who would have thought I'd be recommending the iPod (in fact, my fiance looked at me when I told her to buy one and said "who are you, and what have you done with Jeremy?").

Next thing you know you'll be able to run Mac OS X on a Wintel PC! And Palm will use Windows Mobile in the Treo! :lol:

randalllewis
11-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I own two Zen Micros so I guess I am biased in this discussion. But I don't hate the iPod and I HAVE used one and I think they are cool looking. I also think the Micro is cool looking- especially the black one.

My reason for going with Micro over iPod is one no one else has mentioned. I resent being told where I will purchase music from and as long as Apple keeps the policy of only Apple, they won't get a dime from me. I continue to believe that the other MP3 makers are missing a big deal by not hitting on the "freedom of choice" issue in their advertising.

Can you imagine the Apple policy applied to other technology? You can only watch Columbia movies on Sony TV's...or NBC programs are only available on GE televisions. It is a ridiculous policy and it is too bad that Apple has been so rewarded for this anti-consumer attitude.

Jeremy Charette
11-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Also, the rumors of the iPod soon be incompatible with the Xbox 360 are absolutely untrue. Microsoft has publicly stated that they have been working with Apple to make this functionality happen.

Jason Dunn
11-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Also, the rumors of the iPod soon be incompatible with the Xbox 360 are absolutely untrue. Microsoft has publicly stated that they have been working with Apple to make this functionality happen.

Hmm. I'll believe it when I see it - Microsoft may be saying they're working with Apple, but that doesn't mean Apple is working with Microsoft if you know what I mean...

Phronetix
11-16-2005, 04:37 AM
And Apple is notoriously stingy with hardware for reviewers, so it's not like I can even get one to try out.

Aww, heck Jason, all you hafta do is ask. I'd part with my nano for a week or two, as long as you don't pull what those guys on ars technica did (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3). :wink: I even have the nano tubes to keep it nice and shiny.

kiwi
11-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I got a deal on 2 Ipods recently - $CA200 for a brand new Silver Mini (4GB) and $CA260 for a Colour Screen Ipod U2 Special Edition.! (3 weeks used)

The U2 one is actually very attractive and the colour screen is a great improvement for use of the device. I cant go back to monochrome.

These devices are going to other people but I think I will upgrade my own personal device to an 30GB Ipod (5th GEN) if I can get a deal ;)

Roosterman
11-19-2005, 03:10 AM
I have to disagree with the author here.

First, third-party tools are NOT required to convert WMAs to AAC or MP3 files in iTunes.

Looking at Charlie's blog, I came to the conclusion that he works for Microsoft. About three years ago, I was on a project developing some software with a crew of MS contractors. It was really funny to listen to them because they wouldn't/couldn't mention any other companies software by name. They always referred to it as third party software. It looks like Charlie is just staying true to his roots. When he says "third party tool" he is referring to iTunes. :wink:

Roosterman
11-19-2005, 03:35 AM
I bought a Zen Micro myself a couple of weeks ago. I thought about the iPod nano briefly, but the only thing it had going for it, IMHO, was the cool factor. To me, that would have been an incredibly dumb reason to buy it. I'm much more into looking at the bang for the buck. When you stop and think about it, all these types of devices will wind up the same, discarded. The reasons will vary but it will happen to them all. My thought is to get the most that I can right now for the money I spend. iPod's just don't add up, cool factor brings nothin to the table for me. The micro's interface took about two minute for me to get the hang of, pretty easy IMO. I don't hate iPods, but as I believe Jason said, there is a snob appeal to them and that really turns me off, just like a BMW or MB.