View Full Version : Sony Suspends Controversial CD Production

Jason Dunn
11-11-2005, 10:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/79775/sony-suspends-controversial-cd-production.html' target='_blank'>http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/79775/sony-suspends-controversial-cd-production.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sony is to suspend production of CDs using its controversial content protection technology, currently being exploited by a Trojan virus. The technology employed by Sony to protect its music from illegitimate use was picked up by security software as a rootkit which hid files from Windows and made them impossible to detect. But simply using letters '$sys$' in a filename means that any such file will be hidden, even malicious files. And this is exactly what has happened with the latest virus."</i><br /><br />It's nice that under a world-wide public tar-and-feathering, Sony is taking a step back to really think about how badly they've botched this. :roll:

Felix Torres
11-11-2005, 10:37 PM
It's nice that under a world-wide public tar-and-feathering, Sony is taking a step back to really think about how badly they've botched this. :roll:

Half a step.
They stopped production on new disks, not the sale of already-infected ones.

Without a recall, all the infected disks in circulation are still a threat. Especially now that viruses are starting to take advantage of the cloaking "services" of the Sony rootkit.

Of the 20 or so known-infected disks, there is only one from an artist I listen to and was planning to buy.
Emphasis on "was".
Since retailers won't take back open CDs, I'm not touching any CD from Sony until I know its clean...

Mr. MacinTiger
11-11-2005, 10:44 PM
I am done with them - let 'em all rot in hell.

Jerry Raia
11-11-2005, 10:46 PM
They are still scum for doing it. The only reason they are backing off is because they got caught and took a PR beating. When they admit wrong doing is when I'll THINK about patronizing them, if ever.

Kent Pribbernow
11-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Why on earth would Sony abandon such an innovative approach to DRM? They have made such a name for themselves by blazing new trails in copyright protection. :roll:

One thing to come out of all this. I will NEVER again buy another Sony music CD, and that may go as well for all Sony products in general. Well, those that aren't embedded into other products I use.

randalllewis
11-13-2005, 02:53 AM
While suspension of sales was a smart move, a company acting in the best interests of its customers would RECALL all of the CD's sold with this crappy DRM scheme. A company acting in the best interests of its customers would include a free- non DRM protected- CD as part of the recall. A company acting in the best interest of its ARTISTS would do the same thing. Let's see what kind of company Sony is.

Felix Torres
11-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Let's see what kind of company Sony is.

Sony is the kind of company that is spending money hand over fist trying to simultaneously launch two new platforms (BD-ROM and PS3) plus playing catch up in TVs, at the same time it rebuilds an ossified corporate structure and tries to revive its small electronics business, while seeing its two cash cows (movies and PS2) stagnate. And is now facing a PR disaster in its #3 business.

In other words, its a company facing perfect storm of trouble and they likely can't afford the recall, even if they understood the need for it.

Dont hold your breath... :wink:

Jason Eaton
11-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Capping off this thread with smoe more developments..

http://news.com.com/Microsoft%20will%20wipe%20Sonys%20rootkit/2100-1002_3-5949041.html?part=rss&amp;tag=5949041&amp;subj=news

Microsoft is now adding the Rootkit to its spyware removal program. Now this should be a fun can of worms.

Jason Dunn
11-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Microsoft is now adding the Rootkit to its spyware removal program. Now this should be a fun can of worms.

Bwahahahahahaha! YESSS!!!! That's SO perfect, and exactly what I thought would happen. :twisted: Burn Sony burn!

Jason Dunn
11-14-2005, 05:11 PM

Bwahahahahahaha! YESSS!!!! That's SO perfect, and exactly what I thought would happen. :twisted: Burn Sony burn!