View Full Version : Buying Electronics: Big-Box Stores vs. Online

Chris Gohlke
11-05-2005, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916116/' target='_blank'>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916116/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"In today’s world of mass retailers, it’s easy to assume that a big-box store like Best Buy or Wal-Mart would be the best place to buy consumer electronics. Guess again. A Consumer Reports reader survey suggests that shopping online might be the smarter choice."</i><br /><br />I think this comes as no surprise to most of us here, but I would be interested in what stores you frequent (on-line or brick and mortar). For big ticket stuff, I've either used Amazon (for the selection) or Sam's Club (because of their easy return policy if I don't like something and because they sell really cheap extended warranties). I also really like New Egg and I frequent Fatwallet.com for deals on other sites (especially this time of year as the Black Friday ads start going up).

Philip Colmer
11-05-2005, 01:58 PM
For most stuff, I still tend to buy from bricks and mortar stores. The main reason is the returns policy. In the UK, online stores tend to be pretty bad about returns, despite very strong consumer protection laws. Experience has shown me it is easier to return product when you can look someone in the eye :).

My online shopping tends to be restricted to consumables, books, CDs and DVDs.

--Philip

Felix Torres
11-05-2005, 04:14 PM
All of the above. :-)

I've bought different products from different channels, local or online, at one time or another: PCMall, Tigerdirect, NewEgg, Amazon, J&amp;R, Walmart, BB, CC, etc

The ones that stand out are:

Circuit City - They do the "Order online, pickup locally" thing perfectly

Best Buy - Lots of annoying quirks make the online site great for research but painful for buying; if you can get past the worst checkout software known to mankind they do have good return policies and competent delivery. B&amp;M experience varies wildly from great to attrocious; obviously, the stores take on the personality of the store manager and some of them are big-time jerks. Fortunately the store nearest me is one of the good ones.

CompUSA - Strictly a b&amp;m operation - once they completely lost an online order of mine; no confirmation e-mail or anything; even in-store their computer system can't properly track inventory

Radio Shack - generally well run but their search engine needs work

In general, when it comes to tech, the b&amp;m chain stores are generally staffed by cheerfully clueless and misinformed staff that make dealing with (most) online databases preferable. ;-)

randalllewis
11-05-2005, 05:27 PM
I've bought small stuff (MP3 and PMP, Pocket PCs, phones) on line, mostly at Amazon. Big stuff comes from B&amp;M stores. I ususally give Costco a first look but sometimes their best prices are on odd brands. A computer I bought from them years ago was full of propritary and partially disabled features, so more recent computers have come from CompUSA. My most recent purchase, a 42 inch HD TV came from Video Only. I've purchased my last three TV's there. I've found that if you know going in about their high pressure sales technique and are prepared for it, you can get a good deal there.

sojourner753
11-05-2005, 06:40 PM
In the past few years I primarily order from online stores. I always try to go to b&amp;m stores but their selections are already pathetic. Currently I'm researching digital audio players and I went to one of my local Best Buys. All they ever have are a bunch of crap and iPods (I'm not calling iPods crap).

While I was assembling my HTPC I tried to support local electronic and computer stores (not to be confused with the big chains). Mostly because I'd like them to be there when I really need someone to talk to. But their selections are way too small and prices not competitive. I usually ended up buying most of my parts from NewEgg. Their return policy is pretty liberal in my experience.

Jason Dunn
11-05-2005, 09:23 PM
I tend to buy big ticket items (TV, laptop) from stores where I know they have good return policies. I buy CDs, books, software, and pretty much any hardware under $1000 from online stores or a local store here in Calgary (Memory Express) where I can order online from and get it couriered here.

One of the things that SUCKS about Canada is that most of the laptop companies don't allow you to order from them - they only sell through the retail channels. That makes for a VERY frustrating scenario where you can't get what you want. I had to get James to order me a Fujitsu laptop off eBay because they wouldn't ship to Canada. :roll:

Wojo
11-10-2005, 03:43 AM
Most of my online purchasing is done through eCost.com. They have some great deals on LCD screens most of the time. As far as my big $$ AV items I go to brick and mortor stores. Usually Ultimate Electronics or one of the higher end AV stores. They have models that Best Buy, Circuit City and the like can't sell. Laptops are usually purchased online with an extended warranty via the manufacturer or Dell. Desktops are usually Dell or Custom built locally. So a mix of everything.