View Full Version : Draconian Sony DRM Puts Customer's Computers at Risk

Jason Dunn
11-03-2005, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.com/Sony+to+patch+copy-protected+CD/2100-7355_3-5928608.html?tag=nefd.top' target='_blank'>http://news.com.com/Sony+to+patch+copy-protected+CD/2100-7355_3-5928608.html?tag=nefd.top</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Sony BMG Music Entertainment and a technology partner are working with antivirus companies on a fix for a potential security problem in some copy-protected CDs. Earlier in the week, security experts said that anticopying technology used by Sony BMG could be adapted by virus writers to hide malicious software on the hard drives of computers that have played one of the CDs. The antipiracy tool is included on many of Sony BMG's latest music releases, from Van Zant to My Morning Jacket. Sony BMG's technology partner First 4 Internet, a British company, said Wednesday that it has released a patch to antivirus companies that will eliminate the copy-protection software's ability to hide. In consequence, it will also prevent virus writers from cloaking their work using the copy-protection tools."</i><br /><br />This is insane. What I find most offensives about this, and it applies to those asinine "don't steal movies" commercials that play before movies in the theatres, is that Sony is punishing <i>the people who are buying the CD</i>. Read that again and really think about what it means: the people who are buying the CDs are supporting the artist and the music label, and they're the ones being put through the hassle of having to deal with the frustration this DRM causes.<br /><br />I wish I had the time to write an email to every band who's CD I didn't buy because of it being "enhanced" with copy protection. It would be great it there was a group that would organize something like this - they'd have a Web site with a database of artists and their management, and you could send an email or print out a form letter with the right contact information. I think the artists, the ones creating the music, need to start pushing back at the labels if they care about their fans.

stevehiner
11-03-2005, 09:52 PM
I read not too long ago about how Switchfoot (also on a Sony label I believe) posted instructions on a forum about how to circumvent the copy protection. They made it VERY clear that they had nothing to do with it and wished it wasn't on their disc.

Jason Dunn
11-03-2005, 09:53 PM
I read not too long ago about how Switchfoot (also on a Sony label I believe) posted instructions on a forum about how to circumvent the copy protection. They made it VERY clear that they had nothing to do with it and wished it wasn't on their disc.

Yeah, I referenced that on an earlier post about this. Problem is, that's one band, and not a "Top 10" band that has a of sway with the record label.

Jason Eaton
11-04-2005, 02:10 PM
And the 'Hits' just keep on comming...

If your a multiplayer game fan for PC you will love the next evolution of the Sony BMG fiasco. It has been confirmed that game hackers are already making use of this 'protection' to hide their applications from game validation techniques. By simply appending $sys$ to their exe files the game validation tools can no longer scan for applications that allow you to cheat. Wonder how many viruses are going to pop up over night that are less bening.

LINK: Click Here for More Info (http://www.securityfocus.com/comments/newsbriefs/34/48/threaded#48)