View Full Version : Digital Cameras and Wireless Technology

Jason Dunn
10-12-2005, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/blogger/2000_10_08_archives.html' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/blogger/2000_10_08_archives.html</a><br /><br /></div>Today happens to be the 5th Anniversary of Pocket PC Thoughts , and when I was looking up the original Blogger HTML pages, I noticed this post I made on Friday, October 13th, 2000:<br /><br /><i>"Imagine a digital camera running Windows CE. Imagine snapping pictures and having them automatically emailed to you via a Bluetooth chip on the camera that talks to your cell phone on your hip. Storage becomes a thing of the past - the CF card in the camera is more of a buffer for your cell phone than anything else. Or imagine having a built-in FTP program that would automatically push your images up to a web site as you're shooting them - real-time photography and events coverage could usher in a new era of photo journalism. Raw, unedited, up to the second coverage. Imagine having Pocket Artist on your camera - you could crop, edit, and tweak your images before uploading/emailing them. The possibilities are so endless here - if anyone has any upper-management contacts with Kodak, Olympus, Nikon, or any other major digital camera OEM, tell them I want to speak to them."</i><br /><br />Maybe I should have filed a patent. :lol: It's interesting that it took five years to see the first step toward making this a reality: we're only now just seeing cameras with built-in WiFi, which have limited usefulness unless you're shooting with range of a WiFi network. There are a lot of holes in my original concept - Bluetooth 1.x is too slow for large images - but the concept is sound. Imagine if you still had local storage but the camera would wirelessly upload each image so you'd have an off-site backup. GPRS would be too slow for this, but with EVDO it would be workable. Toss in Bluetooth 2.0 or a point to point WiFi connection between the camera and the phone, and we're cooking. The pieces aren't all in place yet, but I think there are a lot of interesting possibilities with wireless-enabled cameras. What kinds of scenarios can you envision?

mrozema
10-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Hey Jason!

Honestly I'd like to be able to control my camera remotely from my PPC. I'm not so concerned with transfering photo files to and from the device though. But a remote control feature would be awesome, especially if you could have a live preview window on the PPC as well.

Just my two cents ;)