View Full Version : Zune Out of the Gate With a Slow But Steady Start

Aaron Roma
11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/6002/zune-sales.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/6002/zune-sales.html</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;Their are no long lines in front of the electronic chains to tip us off on how well Microsoft's new Zune player is doing in the market these first few days, nor do Walmart or Target let on to their sales figures on any item they sell. With all of the hype big things are expected for this iPod contender and initial sales numbers can shed some light on its prospects.&quot;</em></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>It was the morning of November 14th. It was the moment we had been waiting for all year. All across the nation, people were camping outside their favorite electronics store, waiting in line to be&nbsp;among the first to own the newest piece of technology to hit the shelves. Fortunately for me, I was able to stroll past all of those enthusiasts in line for this weekend&rsquo;s launch of the PS3 and walk straight to up the cashier to pick up my Zune. :)&nbsp;&nbsp; All kidding aside, the opening day sales for the Zune haven't exactly been record-breaking, but indications to point to fairly steady sales.&nbsp; MP3 Newswire takes a look quick look at the Zune's opening day performance.&nbsp;&nbsp; The Zune debuted at 8 (up to 7 last time I checked) on Amazon in electronics (on a list dominated by iPods), and I've seen the stock at my local retailers steadily declining. Hopefully as word of mouth spreads, and the holiday shopping season ramps up, things will pick up even more for the Zune.</p>

gshocker
11-15-2006, 10:10 PM
I think we will see a steady increase in sales as we hit the weekend. The two stores that I hit did not even have them out.

Fry's - no Zune anything to be found anywhere... Sales people could not find it in their weekend flyer so they did not know what was going on..

Best Buy - No Zune on display but they did have them. You basically had to ask for them and they were happy to explain all about it. I guess they had gotten them in that day but had not had time to put them out. I played with the demo unit and grabbed mine.

I have heard simular stories around the net saying that many stores did not have them out yet so by the weekend we should see some more movement.

LPD
11-18-2006, 08:56 PM
On Thursday, Nov 16, I went to a Circuit City in Chicago. They had a full display with 2 Zunes (one was a dummy) but the other was working and connected to the Altec Lansing speakers. There was about 8 of each color in stock. They had a few accessories but not many.

marcol
11-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Highest ranked Zune (Black) is currently at number 43 in the Amazon list. It's not like no-one's buying this type of device either - the most direct competitor, the 30 GB iPod, is number one! 8th --> 43rd in a week. Not sure this can be described as 'steady'.