View Full Version : Napster vs. Apple: What Napster's CTO Has to Say

Jason Dunn
10-06-2005, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mp3.com/stories/1817.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mp3.com/stories/1817.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"...we're trying to create what we call an immersive music experience, so we do offer a traditional a la carte store like iTunes, but we're really trying to provide an immersive experience where you can discover music, and you can consume the music in whatever way you see fit. So, in addition to the store model we offer a full subscription model. We've recently made that portable with Napster To Go. The subscription model enables you to listen to your music at home and on your stereo. And we've got a lot of features that we've had in the Napster service for some time that are all about community, being able to look at other people's collections, being able to look at their playlists, use them for recommendations."</i><br /><br />An interesting interview with Napster CTO Bill Pence - I wonder if I should tell Bill that the primary reason I cancelled my Napster subscription last week is because it was too much of a hassle? Follow me here: if I'm paying a monthly fee for a service, I should only have to authenticate with that service once a month, correct? Then why does Windows Media Player 10 and the Napster client force me to log in every time I load up the player, and sometimes several times during a session? Their authentication is also tied too harshly into having connectivity. For instance, if I authenticate and download songs on my desktop computer, then copy the songs over to my laptop, why should I see an authentication prompt when I'm using my laptop on a plane? Why isn't the authentication injected into each audio file?<br /><br />I still believe that music subscriptions are great for some people, but I find Napster's implementation highly flawed (and expensive compared to Yahoo) - I'll check back with them in a few years and see if they've improved.

Phronetix
10-06-2005, 03:43 AM
[Edited post, 23:58 MDT, 2005-10-05]

As much as I'm a tried and true MacGeek, I really wanted to see the Napster service do something other than pretend. I never cared to use it, as the US and Canadian iTMS have everything I want and are easy, reliable and pleasant to use. But competition drives innovation, and I expected and hoped for Napster to do something more than embarrass themselves with tacky superbowl ads and create an annoying user experience, something I've heard colleagues ranting about at least 4 or 5 times since release.

I think the one company that can still steal apple's market dominance is microsoft. They know the game... they stole much of the user experience of the Macintosh, diluting it with their lack of style, but strengthening the overall product with a superior business model. I don't see why they couldn't do the same in the music/movie business. Frankly, I hope not, but I fear it could happen. (That's b/c I'm pulling for Apple) I know one thing for sure, if they don't act quickly, MS will have to create such a store that caters to the iPod universe as well as to their own (i.e. WMA-based) rat pack of clumsy, cheap-looking and non-innovative players. Which, in all seriously, would be nice, despite the fact that it would make me nervous for my 'home team'.

Jason Dunn
10-06-2005, 03:54 AM
Phronetix, your post wins this month's award for "Massive Flame Bait". I'm going to pretend I didn't see it. 8O Please, no one take the bait.

Phronetix
10-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Phronetix, your post wins this month's award for "Massive Flame Bait". I'm going to pretend I didn't see it. 8O Please, no one take the bait.

Now, wait a second... :?

This is not bait, Jason. Perhaps I should be a little more cautious with my wording on your site. I apologize for that, and I don't want to get a bad rep for flamebait-creation.

I reread my post and still agree with myself. I think Napster leads a list of poor performers in the field of online music stores. I think Microsoft is good at creating business systems, and terrible at innovation and reliability. I think that most of the non-iPod players out on the market look cheap and are cumbersome to use. Keep in mind that my first experience with an iPod was with the 1st gen 5 GB unit that I figured out how to use in under 15 seconds after picking it up. What reason is there to not be critical of everyone-but-Apple in the online music biz?

Out of interest, do you own an iPod, Jason?

Phro, aka Dennis :wink:

ps: If I'm able I will go back and edit/soften my post up a bit.

Jason Dunn
10-06-2005, 04:00 PM

Nope, and I highly doubt I ever will - I don't want to be locked in to their system. As for the rest of your post, it wasn't you criticizing online music services, it was you trash-talking Windows and every other MP3 player on the market. That's the kind of Mac zealot-talk that simply isn't welcomed here. I'm quite happy with Windows XP and my Zen Micro, and don't need to be talked to like an idiot for not using what YOU use.

Jonathon Watkins
10-07-2005, 06:14 PM

Nope, and I highly doubt I ever will - I don't want to be locked in to their system.

Yup, that's one of the main reasons I don't want to get one either. I have a lot more choice in the windows world rather than Macs 'we chose this one for you' approach. I don't want to drink the Mac Cool-aid..........

Other MP3 players out there do have their strengths Phronetix. :wink:

The hassle of DRM is another of the reasons I will stick with CDs for the foreseeable future. :)