View Full Version : Tivo Coming to Canada? Maybe

Jason Dunn
09-14-2005, 10:05 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2005/09/tivo_coming_to__1.html' target='_blank'>http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2005/09/tivo_coming_to__1.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Word has it that TiVo is starting to support Canadian guide data in preparation for a launch in the Great White North (or South, for those of us in Detroit). We haven't tested this ourselves yet, but the latest Tivo software allows entering a Canadian postal code, selecting a Canadian provider, and getting Canadian guide data."</i><br /><br />Not much concrete data, but it looks like Tivo will finally be coming to Canada. I would have been very excited about this three years ago, but now I'm kind of ho-hum about it. I'm quite happy with my MCE 2005 machine, but it's not connected to the big screen Samsung TV. I have a Motorola HDTV tuner box/PVR combo unit that completely sucks. It's truly a horrible PVR experience compared to my MCE (it randomly records crap and I can't find a way to stop it!), so I have a faint glimmer of hope that Shaw (my cable provider) will offer Tivo as an option. I don't like the monthly service fee option. :?

Gordo
09-14-2005, 10:27 PM
And this just a two weeks after I purchased a Rogers (cable) High Def PVR to go with my new 50" High def TV. My experience to-date has been nothing but positive. I like the fact that I am in control of the recording, and not the device.

sojourner753
09-15-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't like the monthly service fee option. :?

Another monthly subscription doesn't really appeal to me either. Thats why I'm (gradually) assembling a SageTV HTPC to hook up to my Comcast Digital cable. I'm almost there too, just need to make a remote control decision so I can put in the dual tuner card. Then I can move the whole thing from the loft.

Okay, so I'm not in Canada, but I just wanted to be apart of the conversation. :wink:

Mike Temporale
09-16-2005, 01:40 AM
I have to agree with you on this Jason. If Tivo did this a couple years ago, I would have been all over it. But now that I have MCE, I can't see paying monthly fees for something that does less.

That's the same problem I have with the Rogers/Bell/Starchoice PVRs, they're so limited compared to the MCE, and you have to pay for it every month. :? Nice try, but no thanks. 8)