View Full Version : HD: Plasma vs LCD

Philip Colmer
08-22-2005, 07:31 AM
I know that the plasma vs LCD argument has come up time and time again, and people have their own preference and thoughts as to which is better. That said, I came across a situation that got me thinking about a difference that I don't think has been mentioned before.

I was looking at a comparison of a DV camcorder vs an HD camcorder. The picture quality from the DV camcorder was truly horrible and my wife was saying "Your camcorder doesn't look that bad - why is there such a difference?". The only answer I could come up with was that the picture from both camcorders was being displayed on a hi-def LCD screen.

So why the difference? LCD has a "natural" resolution. For example, my laptop has a native resolution of 1920 x 1200. If I try to set Windows to anything lower than that, the pixels have to be scaled and the display doesn't look as crisp.

So if you've got an HD LCD screen, it will likewise have a native resolution that is best suited for HD resolution pictures. If you then show SD pictures on it, it will look poor.

Does that make sense? If I've got that right, does that mean that plasma has an advantage over LCD in this area or does LCD suffer just as much?

If you have a quality upscaler to take SD & up-convert it to HD resolution, does that solve the problem?

--Philip

RR-3 V
03-01-2006, 06:26 PM
I've came across alot of LCD HD tv's with broken screen's, seen cracked, shatterd. I want to know if they are fixable somwhow? most size's from 18' to 42'. Thanks :agrue: :beer:

freiberghk
03-17-2006, 06:06 AM
Phil, great question.

I own both a Plasma HD and an LCD HD tv. I have to say that when watching analog cable tv on them, I much prefer the Plasma over the LCD.

This is of course my subjective opinion... but in my case it isn't even close.

Now when I'm watching hi def content, they both look fantastic!!!