View Full Version : My iPod Is Dead?!

Kent Pribbernow
08-11-2005, 04:00 PM
How do I compare thee to a summer's day, with the smell of week-old road kill laying on the side of a highway? This morning, as I attempted to get my necessary gadgets in sync for another busy day, I noticed something strange about my iPod Photo; it won't turn on! When I dock it with my Mac, it won't launch iTunes. Plugging it into a wall outlet for charging has no effect. The bloody thing simply will not turn on. I even tried the ultimate quick-fix solution; swearing at it. Still nothing.

And this from a device that is less than three months old! I haven't a clue as to the cause or solution to the problem. It was working fine last night, showing no signs of sudden infant death syndrome. Now comes the grim prospect of returning my pristine iPod to Apple, and being sent a scratched up refurbished unit. If that happens, the next iPod will go on eBay and will be the last such product from Apple I will ever own.

Needless to say, I am not a happy iPodder right now. Goodbye iPod, hello Zen Micro? :cry:

Update: Or not! I activated the reset procedure (holding down the menu and select buttons a few seconds) and that brought it back to life. Unfortunately the battery is completely drained. Strange.

sdhawk
08-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Is it possible that you simply left it on all night and the battery ran down to the point where it shutdown?

Jason Eaton
08-11-2005, 05:39 PM
It sounds like your iPod went into what is refered to as 'Deep Sleep'. This happens for a couple reasons, one being a long time without use, very low battery that drains past a certain point while in regular 'sleep', and on some rare occassions a badly coded audio book that hinders the normal 'sleep' process.

On newer click wheel models pressing the Menu and Center button will cause a reboot process with the Apple logo on the screen. If your battery is low enough you may not even get that far so make sure to leave it on the craddle or plugged into the wall if possible.

If you do have to send back your unit the 'refurb' unit should come back with a new case at any rate. So while the insides maybe refurbed the outside should be clean and new.

Kent Pribbernow
08-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Everything is working fine now, thanks to a reboot. PHEWWWWWW!

I don't understand why this happened though. I'm fairly positive the unit was powered off last night. But I suppose the possibility of my failure to turn off the iPod exists.

Needless to say I am breathing a HUGE sigh of relief. :)

BugDude10
08-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Maybe you just didn't use the correct swear words at first...

sojourner753
08-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Now comes the grim prospect of returning my pristine iPod to Apple, and being sent a scratched up refurbished unit. If that happens, the next iPod will go on eBay and will be the last such product from Apple I will ever own.

Needless to say, I am not a happy iPodder right now. Goodbye iPod, hello Zen Micro? :cry:

Curious, you make the act of jumping the iPod wagon sound so trivial. I'll assume you don't have much of an investment in iTMS music. And your library must not have a huge AAC presence.

I doubt some of the more zealous iTunes lovers would find such a device transition so easy.

I have an ipod but most of my music is mp3. And I've never purchased music from iTMS. The only thing that has me captive to it is the fact that it was a gift from my girlfiend and its engraved with a "Loving you always". :wink:

David Horn
08-12-2005, 10:20 AM
You just needed to figure out the iPod equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Delete. ;)

mariov
08-15-2005, 06:51 AM
You just needed to figure out the iPod equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Delete. ;)

Uh, but wasn´t that the good thing about apple products? That they doesn´t needed Ctrl-Alt-Delete? :twisted: