View Full Version : DesignTechnica: "Are You Living the Terabyte Lifestyle?"

Kent Pribbernow
08-02-2005, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.designtechnica.com/article8005.html' target='_blank'>http://news.designtechnica.com/article8005.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"New digital lifestyle survey conducted for hard disc maker Seagate determines fully three-quarters of Americans have at least a computer in their home. Is there at least one thing in your house which is digital? If so, welcome to the revolution. A survey being promoted by hard disc maker Seagate indicates that three-quarters of Americans are living some form of the “Terabyte Lifestyle”.</i><br /><br />Being a geek, I HAVE to live the Terabyte lifestyle. After all, I have an image to uphold. :wink: I own two computers (PC and Mac), Treo 650, Tapwave Zodiac, iPod, Canon digital camera, etc. But there still items I have yet to acquire, like the Sony PSP (still not convinced I really want or need one). <br /><br />How about you? What kind of geeky gadgets do you own?

Lee Yuan Sheng
08-02-2005, 06:09 PM
A 300/2.8!

That and the fact I'm looking at getting one of these things (http://www.dacal.com.tw/dc300-display.htm) (if I ever find the local distributor) to deal with the ever increasing number of CDs and DVDs!

Oh, and that my drives go all the way N: in Windows.

And that whatever video files I pass on to my friends always end up to be unplayable due to the videos being too demanding..

Jason Eaton
08-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Gadgets:
iMac, Powerbook, iPod mini/20gig/60 gig photo/shuffle, AMD 2500+ Barton OC to 3200+ speeds PC, Canon G3, Canon Powershot, Xbox, Playstation, Playstation 2, Game Cube, Casio E-100, Sony Clie, HP iPaq, Sony PSP, Nintendo Gameboy/SP/Advanced, Sony Dream system Home theater, Sony Multi-disc (400 count) DVD Player,Tivo, (Does a digital meat thermometer that runs off a wired probe so I never have to open the oven door count?), Wireless network to all things that can be networked plus an additional access point for backyard web surfing... uh... cell phone, and nav computer in the MINI Cooper. Not counting stuff in closet that has been phased out over time.

But I only consider myself... normal, contrary to my wifes opinion. I am sure others would put my collection to shame.

wrightca
08-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Two SFF desktops (one with XP MCE in the entertainment center), one HP desktop, a Mac Mini, and three laptops (one with Linux). All of these connected via wireless G networking. Three digital camers (one Kodak 6.1MP, one Casio 7.1 MP, and one Canon 3.2MP). Two PDAs, both iPaqs. Three iPods, one 3G 20GB, one 4G 20GB, and one 512MB shuffle. A Wireless B inkjet printer. A wrist/handlebar GPS system.

Am I a nerd?

ux4484
08-02-2005, 07:58 PM
I have a hard time considering video/audio as geeky as it once was, you can get a fairly sophisticated setup for not to much $$$ these days.

Our house is gadget-heavy compared to most folks I would say, but as Mr. Smith says...others would put me to shame.

Video: Sony 42" HD widescreen (projection...I'm cheap).
Dish Network PVR (no HD yet, not enough programming to justify the additional monthly charge). Medion rack DVD recorder (amazingly VCR like in all ways except video quality). Pioneer 25 CD changer, The rest of my audio setup is strictly analog.
Computers: Two desktops, one of which I built (AMD based 3000+) both with LCD displays, one laptop. WiFi via b and g routers. Laser and inkjet printers, Benq scanner.
PDA/phones: Axim X5, Axim X30 (Mrs.), two Visor Deluxe' (one is the kitchen address book, one is daughter #1's). Two Moto v265's
Games: Xbox and 2 gameboy SP's.
Cameras: Oly C-700 (soon to be ebay-ed), Canon Powershot a75
Accessories: WD 120g external HD, Sandisk Cruzer, istick and sony Flashdrives, Dazzle DVD.
Music: Digitech RPx400 Guitar processor/recording studio

...and some stuff I'm sure I've forgot.

I have some old time geek stuff as well, mainly my Knight Tube P.A. and Allied Electronics Bottom (that I use as my amp).

rlobrecht
08-02-2005, 08:00 PM
3 Dell desktops (p4 1.7 - 3.5)
1 laptop (really old one mostly for kitchen surfing)
Acer TravelMate C111 Tablet PC
webserver (Via EPIA 800 running Linux)
fileserver (Via EPIA 600 running Windows 2003)
mailserver (Athlon XPM unerclocked to 1.2 GHz running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003)
XBox
Turtle Turtle Beach AudioTron (http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron/producthome.asp)
iMate Jam
I'm sure there's more that I can't think of now.