View Full Version : Do you sell your photos?

Philip Colmer
08-02-2005, 03:20 PM
If you do ...

a) do you have your own web site to display and manage the sale or

b) do you use a third party site to do this?

Any other suggestions or thoughts about selling photos?

--Philip

Lee Yuan Sheng
08-02-2005, 05:27 PM
I assume you're talking about stock photography? Normally one would go with a good stock agency, however as a stock photographer your monthly output is normally in the hundreds, if not thousands.

Otherwise one normally sells photographs as a service; that's how most pros earn their keep, and here your own website with a good porfolio and marketing plan is all you need.

rtrueman
08-07-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm very fortunate as my wife has her own marketing and communications firm. As my photo skills have improved, and my small studio built in the basement, I started taking stock images for her. Instead of paying $200+ for one image from a stock photo house, we're charging $50+. She's able to give me an "assignment" and I can work in the studio coming up with some ideas. Ultimately, her clients make the decision, but they can't tell the difference between our shots and the one's we're purchasing from Getty and such. Sure, there are a number of shots I can't take, but those that I can are providing a better value for her clients and is allowing me to get some revenue from something I really enjoy.

Rob